General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fluid colours? mystery leak. . .

Old 05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Default fluid colours? mystery leak. . .

hey i got a leak under the car, its pink fluid what could it be?

my power steering fluid is. . . green
my brake fluid is... orange
my coolant is pale... yellow
screenwash is. . . blue

so whats pink/red? i have filled up my coolant twise in 5weeks so that looks like the case but why would it be pinky red when its pale yellow in the bottle at the top of the engine?

i got a 1.9 tdi not sure it matters but thats what i have thanks in advancen rick!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: fluid colours? mystery leak. . .

pinky/red could be tranny fluid.

the proper coolant for audi is pink, I think.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

If it's like the other yes, the coolants would start out a pinkish color then over time build to almost an orange or yellowish tinted mixture if you don't flush them. Keep in mind that Water Wetter is a pink color and some folks do a 50/50 mix with wetter to keep the car cool under high temps.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear

Where is the location of the leak?

It is a better desciption. If it is at the front of the car, especially right under the oil pan, the water pump is out and leaking coolant. By the way if you have refilled your coolant twice in 5 weeks it is coolant. I have refilled mine twice since I bought my car, once when the water pump went out, once when the coolant resevoir went out.

So anyway, if it is middle of the car it could be transmission but a noticable leak from a transmission would have stopped your car by now.

Location location location.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:57 PM

yeh i not had time to take that plastic pan off under the engine yet but it comes from that s##t guard when the car has finished a journey i not seen a sorce of the leak as from the top of the engine bay u cant see a leak and the s##t pan under the engine it just drips from teh front and sides,

maybe i can fix the leak i dont see why not i just need to take it off

can some1 please confirm its not tranny fluid from leakin in that location many thanks rick

Old 05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear

Nah, tranny fluid would be about a foot past your front wheels headed toward the rear. And if you looked under your car it would be covered in an oil (trans fluid) from the leak. If the leak is from the plastic protective crap, it is probably coming from the front of your engine. I would guess it is a leaking water pump. I know with the A4 it is a lot tougher to see, but is there a trickle of water coming from the timing belt covers when you park and look under the hood?