General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gasoline smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Gasoline smell

I'm a brand new owner of a '95 Cab. The car is in mint condition, but after filling the tank, I'm noticing a strong gasoline smell inside. We've checked, and there are no visible leaks anywhere. Can someone make a suggestion on what to do? I plan to take the car to a local (not too terrific dealer) and I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I go in.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Default RE: Gasoline smell

How strong is the smell? It could be anything from a small leak to a hole in the floor causing the fumes to enter the cabin.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

It's pretty strong when I first get in and the car has been sitting. It started the first time I filled the tank (I hadn't noticed anything before.) Could the fact that I used regular unleaded instead of premium make a difference?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Senior Administrator

it's not the type of fuel that's creating teh smell, it's THE fuel. You almost assuredly have a leak, SOMEWHERE!!! or else you wudn't have the smell. You say it's strongest after the car's been sitting? Next time you top off (and, make sure you ONLY fill it until the nozzle clicks, DON'T go for MAX volume), after teh car's been sitting, BEFORE you start up, sniff around underneath the rear-end, then, if you don't notice any gass smell, pop the hood and sniff around and see if you can discern any gasoline smell. If you STILL don't notice anything, climb inside and turn teh key, but DON'T crank it, and sniff around...

If you smell it in back, before you do anything, you may have either am overflow-vent problem, or a fuel line leak in the rear.
If you smell it under teh hood, it could be a fuel-rail leak, or a leak in the fuel line or in-line filter canister, up near the engine
If you smell it ONLY inside the cabin, and in none of teh other places, it is most likely either a fuel-line leak, soomewhere between the tank and teh motor, or a fuel line low, in behind teh engine.

narrow down WHERE it is and we'll have a better chance of telling you HOW to go about correcting it...

What size motor?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

I really appreciate your help...I love the car and don't want anything to be really wrong! Before I posted my initial question, a friend and I did the test you suggest...there is NO smell anywhere but inside the cabin. There was no smell under the hood, and no visible signs of leaks. It is a 2.8 V6 (I think.) The dealer I bought it from did emissions testing and say they had the car thoroughly checked out. I looked up the recall notcies on that year and model, and there was one having to do with the fuel injector. I thought I might check with the local Audi dealer (who can run the vin) and make sure the recall was done.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

I get the same smell, just a light aroma of fuel. '95 Cab. I leave the rear windows down just a bit in the garage and no smell. I will note that the air blower is directly behing the spot where the fuel lines enter the engine compartment.I have had the high pressure line seep just a bitat the fitting from hard line to braided line. I swiveled it a small amount and it seemed to reseat. Just happened to read that same recall today. Must be karma.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: hubturn

I have had the high pressure line seep just a bitat the fitting from hard line to braided line. I swiveled it a small amount and it seemed to reseat.
That's kinda what I'm thinking, if it's ONLY in teh cabin. It'd hafta be something like that, or, a pinch in the line somewherew as it follows teh frame rail...

2wrds, check where hubturn identified his leak. Pay extra attention at fittings and connectors.