General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

h1 HID bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Default h1 HID bulbs?

On my car i have some aftermarket headlights that use H1 bulbs just like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01...spagenameZWDVW. I want to install an HID kit and i am not really sure what to look for? I figured i would buy the kit off ebay but there are tons of choices.

Also i see most the HID kits are only 2 bulbs? Am i supposed to but two kits to cover each bulb on my headlight or do i just put in a good halogen like a silverstar?? I plan on putting the foglights on my car in the next 6 months also and i would like the real yellow HIDs for that but i don't really know if i can wire up more than one ballast like that. Anyway help and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: h1 HID bulbs?

i just ordered some HIDs from www.vvme.com and they were cheap. shipped from china were about $78. they were H7s but it's the same price for all of them(so far that i'm aware of) long lights i don't think you have to worry about. i have silverstars on my long lights and they work PERFECT. i've got a 2000 A4 1.8t. i mean it's your choice, but i hear that if you put HIDs in long lights it scatters the light and blinds the other drivers real bad and doesn't look good. i could be wrong but i don't know.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Thats what i figured for the headlights. I appreciate the response, but will i be able to put HID fog lights on my car also, 5 days a week i drive 13 miles across a bridge where fog is an all to often occurance, plus i think the deep yellow lights look cool for fogs. Or am i mistaken and those are mostly hologens??

Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

Yes you can install an HID kit for your fog lights. First you need to figure out the current bulbs so you can order the proper HID kit.
You can install multiple HID kits without issues. You can have your low beams, high beams, and fog lights all upgraded to HID if you want to. It may be a bit messy having 3 ballasts on each side butnot impossible at all. The light you will get is almost 3 times what any halogen can give out. Also HID only takes 35 watts instead of 55 watts.
As far as the high beams scattering light depends on the quality of the HID kit you are using, as the Xenon capsule inside the bulb needs to be exactkly where the filament of your stock bulb would be. You can compare both side by side before installation to verify that.
In my BMW motorcycle I now havetwo H9 HID low beams andone H9 HIDhigh beam, plus a set of PIAAs 1100x (just for conspicuity, something you don't need to worry about in a car[8D]).
I'd say... HID away and enjoy true light!!!