General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Having Trouble with a Pioneer After Market Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Default Having Trouble with a Pioneer After Market Radio

Recently I had a Pioneer single CD player, with Bluetooth, IPOD integration and Sirius Satellite put into my 2002 A4 (3.0) which has 51K miles. I also put an amplifier and a 10inch subwoofer in the trunk. It sounds amazing. Here is the problem, after a couple of weeks the "MIL" check engine light went on. It didn't go off. I live in NYC and was able to find a couple of garages that had the small diagnostic computers that plug in under the driver's side near the gas pedal and reset the computer. They were able to get the light off two times, but the light always comes back. I have had some people tell me that there is no way to have an after market radio in the car becuase the radio is a key component of the computer system that monitors the car. I am due for my car to be inspected and I have been told it won't pass inspection because of that light. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can keep the radio and get the light off so my car can get inspected?

Thanks,

BTR

Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Having Trouble with a Pioneer After Market Radio

Your asking the wrong question, did you ever ask the shop what the fault code even was? The fact that the cel is on most likely has absolutely nothing to do with your stereo. The radio in your A4 doesn't really doesn't have anything to do with the engine management.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks Auditech79,

I have checked the codes and they seem to change each time someone resets the computer and zeros them out. The most recent dealt with the transmition, but it has been other things before that. Several mechanics, and a service guy at the dealer, claim that after market radios whack out the computer and the only way to fix it is to put the old radio back in. Everyone also says I won't pass NYS inspection. What should I do?

Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Site Moderator

I think that BS, the only audi radio's that will mess with anything is a new A6 or A8 that has a fiber optic data loop, if one componet is disrupted the rest of the componets on the loop will not function. But even they won't mess with the engine management.
You might have a software problem or wiring issues, take it to another audi dealer that knows what the hell they are doing. You won't pass smog as long as the cel is illuminated, or two or more fault codes are stored in the ecm.