General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

headlight problem, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default headlight problem, need help

My 02 A6 has one headlight that is not stable when I push on the bulb from the back. The unit inside can be freely moved in the motion that the self adjusting motor would control.Not the whole assembly, but rather the inner reflective portion. I checked the manual adjustment and it does work. I also compared the movement to the headlight assembly on the other side. The other side stays in place when pressure is applied. I get a headlight adj. warning light on the dash. I also notice a slight vibration of the beam while running.
My main question is: is there a clip or some way of firming up the lens? The motor assembly appears normal, as does the overall appearance of the unit. I havent torn the bumper off to get at it totally, but would like to know that it's worth the effort. Can I separate the lens from the inner reflective portion?
Much appreciation for any insight.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Site Moderator

Im having trouble understanding what you want to remove. I understand the bulb is loose and there is a seperate clip that holds that in place, but do you want to remove the projector lens the low beam projects it beam through? That connot be removed. What im thinking is the motor itself is broken and th e whole assembly is flopping around, or the bulb isn't secure. Either was you need to pull the bumper off and get the headlight assembly out to get a better look.