General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with gas pedal/stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Default Help with gas pedal/stalling issue

Hello all:

My girlfriend bought a 2000 A4 Quattro with 60k miles on it about 5 months ago. Everything is fine on it but she was complaining about the gas pedal being "wierd". It's hard to roll away smoothly from a stop. I've driven it too and it just jumps off the line, not like squealling the tires jump but it kinda moves you into the seat. We had the car serviced at an Audi dealership and when we told them to check out the pedal, they said it was normal so I just took that it was the electronic throttle that just took some time getting used to.
She has since mentioned to me that when she's at a stop, and NEEDS to get a move on it, it just sits there and does nothing. Maybe not all the time but I personally haven't checked it out thoroughly. I'm posting an email here that she has just written to me so hopefully you all here can help with figuring this one out. Here's what she wrote:

i have decided something is wrong with my gas petal (well probably not the pedal itself, but i think you know what i mean). it happened again wednesday night leaving after work, pulling out onto the service drive of highway 40. fortunately no one was coming when i tried to pull out. basically i was at a complete stop and then i pushed on the gas pedal to accelerate fairly quickly, i would say faster than a typical stop and go. and all i did was move slowly into the lane and then idle basically. since this had happened before and i was in no danger at this time, i did not change the way i was pushing on the gas to see if i would eventually move forward and i did not. i had to let go of the gas and then push on it again. this is what i have done in the past as well. its weird though since it doesnt happen all the time, but it happens enough. and every time it has happened, it is when i am trying to accelerate quickly. this seems very dangerous to me. is there some way you can look into what could be causing this? it would probably help to test drive, but it may take a while to get it happen again.

Any help would be nice. Thanks all.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Help with gas pedal/stalling issue

im not sure if its fly by wire on the 2000 but if it is then it could be a sticking throttle flap ( that's the butterfly valve in the throttle body ) they get gunked up with carbon and tend to stick,
if its cable then could be the same problem apart from loose linkage

Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help with gas pedal/stalling issue

the 2000 is the first year for dbw i think...you may just need toreset the throttle body. try this:

-turn the key to the on postion, but don't start the car
-push and hold thegas pedal to the floorfor about 5 seconds
-turn the key back to the off position
-release the gas pedal

you should hear a series of clicking type sounds and other strange noises...wait for a few minutes and give it a shot.