General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help me out with a transmission question please

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Help me out with a transmission question please

Greetings all. I'm quite new here and hope to not **** anyone off with my first post. I'm trying to find detailed information on your transmissions. The car I drive has a transmission that's quite similar in design but falls painfully short in performance. I'd like to modify a 6 speed manual transmission to fit and the layout is similar to your cars. My engine is in longitudinally so something with a 6-spd and front wheel drive. Also...bear in mind i'm looking to handle as much power as possible so if you would be so kind as to list the capacities and whatnot. Basically i'm looking for ZF transmission codes and their power handling abilities but would love to see some blown up images and links to sites with aftermarket parts for them. For the record i drive a 2001 Intrepid R/T now before you go running me out saying it's a grandpa car let me defend myself a bit with an aftermarket parts list so far:

-Turbonetics T04B O-trim 0.58 A/R
-Stainless Headers and up-pipe
-Stainless 3" Downpipe and 3" Magnaflow exhaust
-Turbonetics Wastegate - Boost controller
-Greddy Type S Blow off valve
-Stainless intake tubing
-Piggy-Back fully tunable engine controller
-Front Mount Intercooler

soon gonna thrash my stock transmission (chrystler 42Le) and would LOVE to be pushing some kind of manual (even 5 speed if i have to). I'd prefer 6 tho. I'm initally aiming for around the 500 hp mark and then work my way up from there so let me know what you think as far as the durablity goes.

Thanks in advance!!
G

ah...i forgot to mention...i'd prefer to stay FWD for easiness sake but feel free to list AWD transmissions too. When Mother Mopar was developing the 2nd Generation LH body the designers were tinkering with making her rear wheel drive and incorporated a driveshaft tunnel and rear axle area. It's got nothing but my exhaust in the tunnel and aluminum subframe for the IRS underneath but there's room for an AWD setup if the wallet provides the funding. We've already got one member that's dropped a GM Crate LS2/six speed combo with a lexus rear end in his car. I'd very much like to be the first with a manual frontwheel drive so help me out guys!!

Thanks again!
G

Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Help me out with a transmission question please

Quite the post. I can't answer your question unfortunately. The Audi transmission is pretty bullet proof.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

stock audi tranies can handle 2x the power that the stock car provides easy ... the mid 90' S line cars had a 5sp but in euro models the same shell held 6 speeds ... for the actual specs the factory repair manuals would be a good place to look ... tha manuals are available on CDs ... i'm sure someone could share who has thw manuals

Old 07-29-2006, 06:06 AM
1st Gear

TTT

I just got a line on a performance rebuild of my engine so it looks like the transmission is the only thing holding me back from a preliminary goal. I appreciate the help so far! Any more help would be appreciated too

I see the A6 comes with ~450 hp is there a 2wd model A6 or only 4? And is it a 6 speed or a 5 speed?

Old 07-30-2006, 01:55 PM
4th Gear

With the V8 they are AWD.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear

Like stated above the transmissions that hold the most power are usually all wheel drive trannys. A 5 speed tranny from a fwd 98-01 a4 will hold up pretty well behind that power but the problem youll have is getting it to bolt up to the chysler engine. Unfortunatly the bellhousing is usually incorporated into the transmission case on audis so an adapter style bellhousing will probably be out of the question. Not really sure what the solution to that problem would be.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

Well...if i can get the cash i can get the housing modified...My uncle has already done this once for his truck. It's not the same i realize but i'm sure it can be done. I dont' want to do all the work to have the damn thing fail on me so i'm doing some research first. Thanks a bunch guys!

you wouldn't happen to have a link or two of some pictures of said awd tranny or fwd tranny or some pictures of your own perhaps?

Old 08-04-2006, 04:07 PM

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...=&start=0&sa=N

Old 08-07-2006, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

ya see..those are mainly Auto trannies...i want manual. I appreciate the search but i've done that and found mostly auto's just like you did :S Does anybody have the exploded view diagrams of the 6 speed manual gearbox in something with several hundred horsepower. What kind of power are the 1.8T engines putting out. Not to be disrespectful but i don't know enough about Audi's to imagine those putting out the power i need to be able to handle. Someone mentioned a factory repair manual on CD. Can anybody help me out? Does chiltons make an Audi manual? Sorry to be so persistant with my questions!! and thanks for the patience and help!

Perhaps some baseline power numbers for various types of Audi and if it's not too much trouble could you tell me whether it's manu or auto and AWD or FWD?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 PM

dude, why dont you get one that comes with chrysler.

Beter yet get a V8 or V10 or W12 with manual tranny that way you will have to put the thing so that tranny aliens with front wheels.
also Supercharge or Turbo any of this engies and you be able to push the limit of the engine wy after the american stops and bogs down.

hmm, a german drive train in american car. hmm, hmm I dont know I feel sick in my stamek.

Quick Reply: Help me out with a transmission question please