General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help me please!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default help me please!!!!!!!

So, my 98 a4 1.8 has been running real rough. There was loud noises coming from they rear of the car. sounded like it was in the fuel tank or pump.
A week later, the fuel pump stopped working. the dealership replaced it! when i got the car back, it was tough to start and was running even worse.
a week later, the car will not run for crap. I can only give it 10% gas. Any more and the car starts to putter and cut out. The dealership said it was a breather hose.
I replaced that, still same problem, then they said plug coils, so i replaced plugs and coils. Still having the same problem.
Anyone had the same problem??? The car still takes ten seconds to actually start and you cant give more than 10% gas or it starts to cut out.
Dealership says now its the ecm. i think it has something to do with the fuel. could a fuel filter be the problem?
The car is apr chipped!
Thanks in advance
Dan

Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: help me please!!!!!!!

tell them the need to replace the filter if there is a cavation sound from under the rear seat area and did the bleed the fuel lines after the pump replacement.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM
3rd Gear

i think thats what it is. they tested the pressure and said the pump is pushing out ok, i think the filter is screwed!
i will check and see what they say. Also, there is a lot of hissing coming from the gas cap. i thought it was the cap and replaced it, but it is still hissing!
Dont know what else to do.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Site Moderator

Have you gotten it scanned for codes? If not, take it to autozone, get it scanned for free, and post the codes here. Have you checked the vacuum lines?

Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear

after i replaced the breather hoses, the light went off. it isnt throwing anymore codes. audi checked all the lines and they are good too. no vaccum leaks! it just feels like there is no gas getting to it and like it hasnt been bled! like air bubbles in the lines! would a fuel filter cause that much of a problem? could it be anything in the exhaust? The car was running lean on the last code. thats why the breather hoses were fixed. the check engine light has stayed off since! weird huh?

Old 06-03-2006, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear

I would start by replacing the fuel filter. If that doesnt work check the exhaust, primarly the cat, for blockage. Easy way to check is to disconnect the cat at the exhaust manifold.e