General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help with my s4, oh boy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Default help with my s4, oh boy...

ok its gonna be a long description, sorry for putting you through this, if you read it all, and can help, please let me know anything you may possibly know.

2 days ago i traded my 2003 cbr 600rr with a few things done to it and 1,000 dollars for a 2000, negaro blue k04 turbos voigtland suspension giac chipped audi s4. i test drove the car, it needed a sunroof and the navigation screen was screwed so i took the trade, i was a little sloppy with the gears at first (driven stick for 5 years) and he proceded to tell me it was because of a newer car, and its audi yada yada yada, id get used to it. i couldnt drive it yesterday because rain+no sunroof= NO GOOD, so today i took it out, while driving i realize that im used to the gearbox by now, and 3rd is very hard to shift into, so i try a few more times to see if maybe i was doing it wrong or whatever, after driving the car for about 20 minutes, i couldnt get the shifter into 3rd or 4th at all, unless i forced it which i didnt want to do. now on the way home i found out that #1. 4th gear seems to be fine if i dont use 3rd first, i can roam from 4th to 5th to 6th and back clean as a whistle feels great. IF i try to shift to 3rd (first from 2nd to 3rd) it seems very hard to get out of second gear, and then even harder to get into third, very choppy and (downshifting from 4th to 3rd) 3rd is nearly impossible to go into gear and it almost feels as if im stuck between neutral and a gear, and now when i try to go into fourth from third, fourth is blocked again. and i cant use it unless i start from 5th, then go into 4th again. im having a real hard time figuring what this could be. im a honda fan as well, and i know linkages could be the problem, but do audis even have linkage? could it be a bushing in third possibly? any ideas would be greatly greatly appreciated, i love the car and want to do anything possible to keep it. but im considering trying to get the bike back unless i can figure out how to fix...

Old 09-11-2008, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like a syncro problem to me. Time to rebuild the tranny or find a used one. Probably why the guy traded you, he knew it was going bad. Good luck.