General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP PLEASE!! brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default HELP PLEASE!! brake problem

im supposed to be buying a 2002 A6 2.7. 113xxx miles, quattro, 6 speed manual. i took it home from the dealership for the weekend. drove it to work, everything was just fine. drove home from work ( in the snow) and toward the end of my 30 minute drive, i start having problems with the brakes.

when i apply the brakes the car slows instead of stopping, i hear a grinding noise from what sounds like the area in front of the brake pedal, cant tell if its from the wheel or firewall, and the brake pedal pushes back against my foot... to the point that my foot hurts now. it didnt do it every time i applied the brakes, just intermittently.

i am supposed to take it up to get re-inspected on monday for the dealer so we can close the deal. the car failed its initial safety inspection because "both front brake hoses split with exposed core". the dealer responded by having a mechanic "replace both front brake hoses" and "replace ABS unit" according to the invoice.

and ideas, suggestions, comments??????

Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Sounds like the dealer has addressed the problem by replacing the brake hoses and the ABS module.

Does the car come with a warranty of any kind from the dealer? What kind of dealer are you buying the car from? Do their service people know Audis? Has the timing belt/accessories been changed? How much money do you have saved/available for maintenance and repairs?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

the car has a 90 day warranty. but the waranty is irrelevant bc if there is a problem with the brake system the car still will not pass safety inspection in order for me to purchase the car to get the warranty. its a small dealer--maybe has an inventory of 20 cars or less. the guy he uses for his audis is the guy ive used on audis that i owned in the past---knows them inside and out and was able to fix problems even the audi dealerships here couldnt figure out. timing belt and water pump have been changed.

the problem actually occurred about 24 hours AFTER the repairs were made. the dealer has only addressed the problems that caused the car to fail inspection. he hasnt addressed the current problems because he is not yet aware of them. they just happened 2 hours ago but the repairs were made yesterday.

any ideas as to what the problem is?

and probably a stupid question, but is it safe to drive?

Last edited by jwalters103; 12-12-2010 at 10:54 AM.