General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How many N____fies does it take to change a light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:31 AM
1st Gear
Default How many N____fies does it take to change a light bulb?

For those non-Canadians that don't know this joke, the answer is three. One to hold the light bulb and two to turn the building.

Seriously, something as simple as changing a front signal lightbulb on my 2001 allroad has me flabbergasted. The bulb actually doesn't need changing, the amber plastic coating that delaminated from a prior bulb is stuck inside the turn signal lens and its been bugging me. Do you think I could figure out how to get it the lightbulb out? I undid the two torx screws at the top of the (headlight & signal) lens assembly, This allows the entire assembly to move, but it seems to be attached underneath somehow. The owners manual say its a dealer only item. Does anyone know how to do this?

In case it matters, the car is equipped with Xenons (and yes, I know these are very high voltage and shouldn't be tampered with.)

I just bought this car, and Bentley does not have any manuals until later in the fall (yes mine is on backorder)

hmm I do have an alldatadiy subscription, will go there.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: How many N____fies does it take to change a light bulb?

There may be another bolt that goes in the back towards the bottom of the headlight assemably. I know for a fact that there is one that goes in thru the side near the radiator. Your supposed to remove the bumper to get that bolt out but its not absolutely necesary. Ive never had to remove the headlight assembly to get at that bulb thou. Theres enough space in the back to squeeze your hand in . Dont let the high voltage scare you. Just keep the headlights off and your chance of electrocution is right around 0. In any case its not the kill you type of voltage. Its high voltage and low current. Somewhat similar to the shock you would get from a spark plug wire.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 AM
3rd Gear

Also depending on the side you may be able to remove/loosen items behind the headlight assembly to get better access.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Dankhound,

I found it. The bulb carrier is a plastic popsicle tab sticking out the back of the headlight housing (see pic). I could it see once I removed one of the many plastic panels we all have under our hoods (on my car, in this area of the left side it is the one that covers the power steering reservoir).

It was a squeeze for my bearpaws, but I got it out, and back in!

By the way, when was the last time you grabbed a spark plub wire? I don't even like the thought of touching one of those little bug zappers with only two AA batteries in them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22228/8452A608E6C9494C8CBB54168D2C6743.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 AM
3rd Gear

Its been a couple years since ive been zapped by an ignition system. I was adjusting the timing on a small block chevy and the cap was cracked. Spark jumped thru the cap and thru me. I actually got zapped a few times before i decided to shut it off and look for the problem.