General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I got a new problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear
Default I got a new problem!

I have a 93 90s non quattro and it runs greta until it warms up! After the car get to normal temp the check engine light comes on and it starts shifting ruff? Any ideas? When I turn the car off and back on again the light goes off and it takes alittle driving before it comes on again also it feels like something is holding it back wheter it be brakes or something else although I have notice more brake dust on the driver side front rim than the rest and the brake shoes are lower on that side. any help would be great! If it wasn't for all these side problems the car would be great!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I got a new problem!

If the check engine light (CEL) is coming on, drive to your local AutoZone and get the codes read (they do it for free) and post them here. I'm sure one of the more techically inclined and experienced members will be able to shed some light on the subject.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Best of luck with the CEL, they can be a pain in the rear. Please let us know what the code(s) is/are

With the front caliper, pull it off, and check if the caliper slide blolts are properly lubricated, and can more in and out.
If they sieze (and they often do) they will lock the caliper in an angle, and cause problems. You might have a sticking caliper as well.

I had to replace mine last night.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

there is one little problem, i dnt think a 93 is obd2, you going to have to go to a shop to find out the prob, i think if it is an automatic then maybe your tranny is clogged, you said it shifts hard once it warms up, so i think tranny, get it flushed and the filter changed if it has one.if it manual then idk

Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

It's an auto and I don't think the codes can be read without going to Audi itself (dealership) but I will take it there tomorrow and see what comes of it. As far as the tranny I did have it flushed about 5 months ago well actually they sucked the old fluid out and put new in and I know the filter wasn't changed cause they swore up and down that the filter could be left in there? That didn't sound right to me but didn't complain since no one around me wanted to deal with my Audi to begin with so I believed them. I will post my findings if any with the code situation. Thanks for the help and if any more insight let me know. As far as the brakes I will also check that out. How will I know if it is sticking and needs to be replaced? I know I'm a pita here but I can work on just about anything but I need to be told what to do since I have changed brakes many times before but never hunted down a sticking caliper. Thanks again for all the help and mostly the patience you are all showing me!