General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I love my car, but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default I love my car, but....

I've been dealing with a couple things lately with my 01 1.8T quattro:
I got an oil change from a dealership (had a free coupon). A couple weeks later I decide to check my oil (perhaps mistake #1 to wait that long) and I find that they put too much oil in it. So I get under and drain about a quart of oil out. I'm not happy about it, but I wouldn't think a quart extra would be enough to cause problems? If pressure was an issue it would have flagged an oil light - right? I'm going to call and complain to them and tell them they should be checking the oil level before letting a car go, ********.

Speaking of lights, my ecl came on this week. It ran a code "lean bank one - 0107" (or something like that anyway). Looking it up and I have either 1) bad o2 sensor (pre-cat) or 2) vacuum leak somewhere. The car is under warranty and I am going to have Audi take care of it. I've looked all over and can't find any loose/cracked hoses, and for 50 bucks I'm not going to spend much of my time on it.
But, here is my question - since the cel light has been on, I can't hear my turbo spool. Why is that? I'm assuming the car will go into a limp mode once the ecl is flagged? Does this restrict the air flow to/from the turbo? How does the limp mode exactly work? I need some technical advice. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Default RE: I love my car, but....

limp mode is when ur transmission kicks out and sticks into 2nd or 4th gear until the car is restarted. if you think its effecting the car chances are its not a senor its a vacume leak and that it should be look.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: I love my car, but....

Are there two types of limp modes - one for your trans. and one for the engine? I've read that either your transmission will limit your gears (2nd or 3rd) or the engine will limit your boost, intake air flow, or retartd spark timing...
I have a manual trans, so its obviously not limiting my gears (maybe my rev limiter - not sure and I don't want to try it). But, since I can't hear my turbo, I would assume the waste gate is open? I'm shooting in the dark here...