General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Inercooler ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Inercooler ?'s

ok im trying to compare intercoolers to justify pricing of buying a front mount over a side mount for now, i know cicnytt poseted saing a sidemount can handle 400hp. my biggest concern is drop in pressure. Will the colder temperatures offset the drop of 1 to 2 psi between different companies?

ok so now my attempt at better understanding this and reasoning behind the question. i was reading the boostfactory SMIC page and noticed their claim that the stock IC losses 4 psi? so if i get an APR (-0.58psi) or BoostFactory (-1 psi) Im actually INCREASING the effeciency of the system and will be able to hold boost better and shorten spooling time?? like instead of watching the boost drop off at the upper rpm ranges even with a chip it should drop less or none? and therefor making the turbo not work as hard and freeing up hp?

I was looking at getting one from godspeed on ebay but was reading the millions of different reviews about them till i saw one on vw forums the guy who installed it and did a huge write up on the install on a gti i think saw a loss of .5 tp 1 psi from what he was origionally running. but says it pulls harder and fels stronger running. If i do the math using BoostFactory that means he is loosing ~5 psi off of the turbo due to the new intercooler, if so then why does he believe he can pull stronger and harder even tho there is more of a drop in pressure and lag. a4 lag after reading this page its explained that with a bigger intercooler there will always be more lag due to the piping and IC size(im just trying to show i did my homework so if someone says check the forums i already did!)

does the feelling of being stronger have anything to do with the cfm rate? like in the APR and BoostFactory they list their cfm, the APR being at 720 and BF at 491, will the APR be able to flow more air at at a lower psi? and colder temperatures and therefor be able to handle higher HP and bigger more effecicient turbos like the gt2871r or gt30 series and still generate more gains and not get heatsoaked as quickly? hence why the godspeed feels stronger cause it just flows more air even at a lower psi than the stock?

thanks for any help in advance, i just know i live inflorida and i hate the heat(college was here) but know even during the nice cold days at 50 around here my car has 2 or 3 good pulls after it warms up then im heatsoaked and the car just feels used. and i know when it gets to around 90 in a few weeks i dont want to lose performance. thanks again