General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

keyfob reprogramming help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Default keyfob reprogramming help needed

i bought a keyfob with blank blade for my a6 2000 plate audi from ebay it also came with reprogramming instructions which i followed to the letter and it all worked however the imobilser flashes on the dashboard but im able to start the car and lock the doors with the new key however when i come to use it again the imobiliser kicks in and im unable to start the car any ideas?

Old 06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: keyfob reprogramming help needed

I'd say the fob you bought lacks a transponder, or teh transponder is set for a different model/model year Audi. Audi remotes from late '99 on all have a transponder, if I'm not mistaken. Where'd you have it cut? Did they check for a transponder? I'm not all that knowledgable on teh whole transponder thing. I know a little. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge/experience will chime in with more info...

Old 06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

i had to get it cut at a vw dealer as audi wouldnt touch it wheres the transponder and whats it look like ?

Old 06-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Administrator

It's a computer chip, somewhere in the bowels of teh remote. The car "reads" a code sent out by the key, and vice-versa. we're right on teh ragged edge of me knowing WTF I'm talking about, here... Hopefully someone else will join in, SOON, so I don't come off sounding like a complete doof...

Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

well the fob i bought is the same part number and it does work when i program it but the next time i try to use it it dont work strange i know come on ppl where are you all thanks for the input anywayz [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 AM
1st Gear
Default connects to AOA

i am going through a similar problem right now, i had no keys and got new ones cut and the dealer needed to program the transponder to the immobilizer via the main factory computer. not even the dealer ever sees the codes just automatically connects. well my battery was worn out when i flatbedded my car there --1 hr away-- so instead of doing the work right they got done evryopne wanted to leave and they wouldnt guarantee it connected. now i dont know why my car wont start.

anyway itll shut down the fuel system if not programmed to the car

good luck man i hope maybe i shed some light let me know if im right with the fuel system shutdown