General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Knocking from 1800 RPM and up

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Knocking from 1800 RPM and up

Let me start by saying that I am not the experienced with German cars. Sure, a Porsch 944 here or a VW TDI, but nothing special so please bear with me. I am, however, not a newbie when it comes to working on cars. There is a reason I have a C4 Corvette with 12" rears that I can't for the life of me keep locked to the ground.

Okay, so the problem. The car is a 1994 Audi 80. I honestly can't tell you if it's the 2.0 or 1.6 because I don't have the car infront of me. But, since they are essentially the same block, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. It starts up a tad rough, but nothing that I'm worried about. However, when the RPMs get above 1800 RPMs, I get a clunking noise from the back of the motor. It dosn't matter if it's under load or not. It also clunks during RPM drop. At first I thought it was a loose rocker. I've been dealing with Chevys for years, so that's what popped into my mind. The sound is coming from between the 3rd and 4th rocker. However, after a little time searching on Google, I have come across another much more likely possibilitiy and I want to confirm it with the experts

From what I am to understand, the oil sump is clogged which is not allowing oil to get to the timing chain tensioner. Now, this seems a little wierd to me since I have NEVER seen a tensioner on the timing chain! Apparantly, when this happens, the chain goes slack and will either knock around on it's own, or cause the cam to make the sound. Is this a possible solution? Replace the oil pump/sump and maybe the timing tensioner?

If it is, then I have a couple of questions.
Are the oil pump and oil sump the same unit? If I buy this part, will it contain the entire unit?
Where is the oil pump on this car? I really don't want to drop the oil pan and then be looking for something I won't recognize.

If this is something that is suggested, it will take maybe an hour to do once I get the car on a lift.

Thanks for the help!

*edit*

Okay, so after doing some research on the tensioner since I really haven't worked with them much, I found out that Audi's timing tensioner runs on oil pressure. The clogged system isn't sending oil pressure to the tensioner. Problem has been found.

What is the best source to get the pump, sump, and pickup. Might as well replace them all.

Last edited by Tied_to_Italy; 10-12-2011 at 05:00 AM.