Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 avant quattro for $1800?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
1st Gear
Question A6 avant quattro for $1800?

Afternoon Audi folks,

Clearly new to the forum, but I am looking at buying a 1997 A6 Avant quattro for $1800. It has 182k, and no ideas as to when the timing belt was last replaced. Some issues: Check engine light, concerning as the cause is unknown and may prevent inspection. Rear trunk does not open, except from inside. A/C does not work. Moon/sun roof does not function in any facility. Climate control seems to have a mind of its own, I could turn the fan speed up but not back down. Classic Audi electrical gremlins? Wierd ticking sound that appears ~3500RPM and disappears at 4000RPM. Almost sounds like a leaking exhaust manifold, but does not make any noise at idle..... Vibration/hum at ~75MPH, hoping tire imbalance (running meaty winter tires). Anyhow, I hope this is a semi appropriate place to ask for some input. I basically want to get some feed back, and to know if any of these issues are simple fixes or indicators of major problems (sunroof clearly falls in the latter). Let me know what you guys and gals think, the sooner the better! I'm an engineering student who is not afraid to get his hands dirty. I just need a reliable car for school and for the VT winters.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 for sale?

For another $4200 you can get mine and it's perfect compared to this mess you're looking at. Unless you are dying to spend a ton of money......

Mine is listed on this forum. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...5/#post1394793

Call me or pm if you are interested. This would be the reliable car you are seeking and I can move on the price if you are serious.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Ya i would just say be prepared for unexpected repairs. believe it or not i got a 98 a6 with 140k from someone i knew for $1500. I anticipated repairs though, so it wasnt frightening to me that ive spent almost $1500 additionally on miscellaneous repairs in the 7 months ive owned it. first off, i would suggest that u demand the current owner to diagnose that c.e.l. code at autozone (they'll do it for free) that will help you make a more confident decision.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 AM
1st Gear
Default More specific input please

Okay perhaps I should have been more clear. I am looking at the Audi in the original post, not the ones for sale else where. Does any one have specific input on the repairs needed? Specifically the price of having the timing belt replaced? Any specific concerns with these C4 Audis? Note that I used specific three times. I would appreciate any help here guys, not looking to help your wallets. I understand I am not looking at a Camry. I have owned numerous Saabs, and they were not terribly cheap to repair, even though I did all the work myself. I am bringing the car to be inspected by a mechanic on Wednesday regarding the CEL. I found a complete timing belt change kit (BlauAuto) with tool rental for ~$250. Anybody dealt with them or performed this repair? Thanks again

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

I did the timing belt on my 97 A6 and it wasn't that bad. If you have any mech/skills you should be fine. Check out car-parts.com for used parts or PM me if you need some A6 parts cheap. I am parting out one of my two A6's and have lots of good parts. 95, 96, and 97 are compatable.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by Tsjellum
Okay perhaps I should have been more clear. I am looking at the Audi in the original post, not the ones for sale else where. Does any one have specific input on the repairs needed? Specifically the price of having the timing belt replaced? Any specific concerns with these C4 Audis? Note that I used specific three times. I would appreciate any help here guys, not looking to help your wallets. I understand I am not looking at a Camry. I have owned numerous Saabs, and they were not terribly cheap to repair, even though I did all the work myself. I am bringing the car to be inspected by a mechanic on Wednesday regarding the CEL. I found a complete timing belt change kit (BlauAuto) with tool rental for ~$250. Anybody dealt with them or performed this repair? Thanks again

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear

"Reliable car for school" does not = 15 year old Audi with CEL and unknown maintenance history. Run.