General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

left outer tie rod bushing

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Default left outer tie rod bushing

Just recently got a 2001 A4. My mechanic looked at over and while he had it up, he showed me some stuff connected to the front left wheel (I think that's the technical term) He said the left outer tie rod bushing needs replacing. He could wiggle the wheel back and forth while hold the top and bottom of the wheel. He did show me something he called a bushing in the upper part of the wheel well...looked like a fat rubber thing (more technical terms...bear with me), and it was certainly not shaped like I would expect it to be. I'm already ordering a timing belt kit, so I thought I'd just order the part. What part would that be exactly (if it's called "tie rod bushing", I can't find it). Do I need to replace the whole outer tie rod end?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: left outer tie rod bushing

im assuming you mean tie rod end. thats the only thing that would go, the control arms have bushings. you should post a pic of what your mecahnic pointed out.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 PM

I think this is what I saw:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel29.shtml

however, my wheels had play up and down, not side to side.

btw, can I just replace the one outer tie rod end? I mean, should I be replacing both sides, other parts, etc?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
4th Gear

yep thats the tie rod and yes you can replace only one but you might as well get both done at the same time, teh tie rods cost maybe 50 or so for a pair on ebay (just be careful i used ebay and so far im happy with what i got but you never know) labor is around 150 and its always a good idea to get and alignment, or if you want you can do it yourself with a DIY from audidiy.com its about an hour job assuming that nothing rusted on.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind doing the work myself, but I just don't have the time/space/tools/skills for it. I just got one tie rod end for now...based on the mileage I may have to get a kit in the near future.