General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MAF MAF MAF cant figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Question MAF MAF MAF cant figure it out

Man thats allot of reading........ I still cant find someone with the same issue here we go hopefully an expert mechanic can help me out.

'03 A4 V6 cabriolet 130k miles

I was having a problem with the car not running fine and stalling, took to the Audi repair shop not dealer but certified german car repair, the tech said it sounds like a vacume leak paid the diagnost and got it repaired. was getting p0102 code before taking in. ran fine about 1 month then car started to stall in low rpms or coming to stop, checked code p0102 again call the shop took it in said it's bad MAF paid replaced, as soon as I drove off the lot again stall p0102 figured computer has not seen the new MAF and has not cleared memory, erased code got home and again problem, did research could also be bad connector or wiring gave suggestion to tech and magically it was bad wiring hum suspicius, again paid picked up car drove off lot again problem, called tech he said he can replace MAF under warantee that it could of gone bad because of wiring, took in replaced drove off lot again problem not even a block away, erased code went home and again called guy asked for entire money back since it did not fix issue now hae complaint started with BBB. HELP................ dont know what else it can be acording to tech I have an exhaust leak and o2 sensor is causing MAF to act up but I get no O2 codes what so ever only P0102 ANY EXPERT MECHANICS THAT CAN HELP... im so close to burning the car

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

yeah i have the same situation that ive been tryna figure out for over a month now. burns way too much gas. mine just doesnt stall out though. i get a missfire on start up unless i let it sit for a while. i read somewhere else that had the same problem that he had a vacuum leak in the manifold. i havent checked on mine yet but ill let you know if this fixes the problem.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Loquito14
Man thats allot of reading........ I still cant find someone with the same issue here we go hopefully an expert mechanic can help me out.

I was having a problem with the car not running fine and stalling, took to the Audi repair shop not dealer but certified german car repair, the tech said it sounds like a vacume leak paid the diagnost and got it repaired. was getting p0102 code before taking in. ran fine about 1 month then car started to stall in low rpms or coming to stop, checked code p0102 again call the shop took it in said it's bad MAF paid replaced, as soon as I drove off the lot again stall p0102 figured computer has not seen the new MAF and has not cleared memory, erased code got home and again problem, did research could also be bad connector or wiring gave suggestion to tech and magically it was bad wiring hum suspicius, again paid picked up car drove off lot again problem, called tech he said he can replace MAF under warantee that it could of gone bad because of wiring, took in replaced drove off lot again problem not even a block away, erased code went home and again called guy asked for entire money back since it did not fix issue now hae complaint started with BBB. HELP................ dont know what else it can be acording to tech I have an exhaust leak and o2 sensor is causing MAF to act up but I get no O2 codes what so ever only P0102 ANY EXPERT MECHANICS THAT CAN HELP... im so close to burning the car
Loquieto , you might have to bring it to another shop. The shop you are at does not sound like it has the capability to run readiness after repair to confirm everything is working well.
Just about any decent euro repair shop that works on VW/Audi vehicles should have a Vag Com set up to work on these cars. After repairs are made they can be confirmed by running a readiness test.

That's unless you want to tackle this yourself.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

M5S5 thanks for your response, not to be rude but I have a question by any chance are you a mechanic? I received a response from the shop now they are trying to say that I'm tampering with the repairs just because I have to clear the code to be able to drive the car to the shop or even to get around. its the wifys car and I get worried that she can get in an accident because of the issue. that thing you said about a VAG COMM set up how does that work because I still take the car even with the code on so they can see (risking the drive) and still they say its something else.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Certified

Yes i am a European auto technician with 32 years of experience. It is not advisable to keep resetting the check engine light. It erases freeze frame data that can be used to diagnose the problem (with a tech that knows what they are doing) & it DOES NOT CORRECT ANYTHING!

Old 10-03-2016, 11:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Yea

Originally Posted by Loquito14

Check maf make sure it's OEM if it's not that's prob should say Audi on it

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM
2nd Gear

Here's a trick to eliminate the MAF from the equation. Unplug the thing. Seriously. The engine can run itself with the O2 and other sensors just fine if the MAF is giving erroneous data to the ECU. Sure it will trip the Check Engine light but if the thing straightens up and runs right without the MAF connected, you have a bad MAF. Or an issue with the connection as you mentioned. Use only the Bosch made units. The ones in the pretty Audi boxes are the same thing but the box costs and extra $100 if you know what I mean.