General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MMI Mute function stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Default MMI Mute function stuck

Greetings. I have an A6 with Sirius. Yesterday the volume function ceased to operate and the "MUTE" icon is stuck on the screen. No sound on any stations. Instructions say push the on/off briefly to disable the mute function but it doesn't work. And.....when the car is turned off the speaker "sound" continues (a sort of hiss) even though it is muted. Any MMI wisdom regarding this matter?

Thank you.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: MMI Mute function stuck

Hey guys im having the same problem here .. my mothers 2006 a6 is stuck on mute, when i turn the **** that controls the volume (both on the steering wheel and by the shifter) its stays on mute and i can hear a low hissing sound coming from the speakers. They charged us $125 to open it up and look at it .. and they quoted us $1000 to change the headunit becuase supposedly someone spilled a drink on the buttons.

My mom is the exclusive driver of the car and she cant remeber ever spilling anything in the car, but then again who knows.

Let me get to the point lol .. IS there anyway i can open the center piece up myself to check out whats spilled in there? and has anyone else had this problem before?

2006 a6 3.2 w/ Navi

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 AM

ahh an old one for a change, have you ever had a stuck door? and how did you fix it? ( sticky switches is the problem ) similar to wasting beer over your keyboard[:-]and not permitted, other possible problem is the PCB in the steering wheel ( it snaps with age ) I know that personallyj/k

Old 12-19-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

ok so i found my own answer .. now im stuck in yet another situation!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/...b.91-07-05.pdf

thats the TSB that audi put out and it matches my vechile perfectly .. but audi says that is only reccomended and it does not HAVE to be repaired becuase its not a recall ..

i was under the impression that recalls were for the most part . saftey concerns .. and im sure sound system would not be recalled unless something was to blow up

so what shoudl i do now? i called up audi customer care @ 18008222834 and they told me the above .. im confused?!

Old 12-19-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the other options though techbod ... if i cant get this service bulliten to work my way im going to have to try out the two things you suggested!

Old 12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
3rd Gear

Having a radio not work is not a safety issue. Thats why its not a recall. Usually just unplugging the amp and plugging it back in will reset the system and make it work again. The amp is on the left hand side of the trunk behind the cover that pulls off. You may have to unbolt it to unplug it.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Well glad to say i didn't have to pay a dime, because the above bulletin worked, and the whole replacement of the mmi controls were thrown out the window along with the diagnostic fees.

Its a simple software update to fix a problem they quoted me over $1100 to fix (replacing the mmi controls etc) ...

don't be suckered in my ANCHOR AUDIS service department for those in NY.
they are all about $$$ and customers come second
after arguing with every person in the service department .. i finally made everyone feel reluctant to question me.. all because of a little piece of paper i printed out online (the bulletin)

Make sure you do your research so you don't have to spend Unnecessary money to fix things that ARE NOT broken.

Until next time,

-Rob

Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Default MMI mute problem

I had the same issue on our A6, where the mute function failed to to clear. This is something that may be started with the cell phone. All I had was the sound symbol with the line through it. I could not clear it. So, after reading through the forums, there was a solution. Try this before thinking of replacing the Boss amplifier. With the car off, go the the truck, left rear panel. When you open this area up, you will see three modules. The top one should be the Boss amplifier. You may have to remove three three screws that hold the amplifier in place. After this component is free, you can unplug the power connection. Be careful as to not damage the power plug. After a few minutes, allowing this module to power down, plug in the power connection and replace the Boss amplifier. Make sure the screws are in properly. After you you have successfully completed this, now start your vehicle. With a little hope, this should save you spending $1000.00+ by just resetting the power to the amplifier.
Good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

I am having the same issue and dealer run around with my Q7. Does anyone have a copy of the bulletin that Rob linked? Or a current link? The link will not pull up anymore.

Thank you,

Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by colby
Greetings. I have an A6 with Sirius. Yesterday the volume function ceased to operate and the "MUTE" icon is stuck on the screen. No sound on any stations. Instructions say push the on/off briefly to disable the mute function but it doesn't work. And.....when the car is turned off the speaker "sound" continues (a sort of hiss) even though it is muted. Any MMI wisdom regarding this matter?

Thank you.
Did you find a resolution to this? Mine is doing the same exact thing!!!! Frustrating, because I know it should be a simple fix.

Quick Reply: MMI Mute function stuck