General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MMI Mute function stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Default MMI mute button issue..

Colby,
What I ended up doing is the following: in the rear trunk area on the left. There is a removable front cover. There, you will find the main control box or system for your MMI. I was able to remove from panel and slide forward so that I could carefully unconnected to power supply to that controller. This would allow that part to power down. You may plug back in after 30sec to 1 minute. After I rein connected the power supply, stated the vehicle and to see if this was a success.

The other way to do this would be to find the correct fuse for that MMI circuit. Hopefully this may be helpful. I can not remember if you have to go back and add all your external information.

Happy Trails,
Rick

Old 10-04-2014, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Default unplugging amplifier worked!

Thanks!!! Finding your suggestion saved me all kinds of $$$ for sure. Worked just like you said. be well.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by mtnpunisher@gmail.com
I had the same issue on our A6, where the mute function failed to to clear. This is something that may be started with the cell phone. All I had was the sound symbol with the line through it. I could not clear it. So, after reading through the forums, there was a solution. Try this before thinking of replacing the Boss amplifier. With the car off, go the the truck, left rear panel. When you open this area up, you will see three modules. The top one should be the Boss amplifier. You may have to remove three three screws that hold the amplifier in place. After this component is free, you can unplug the power connection. Be careful as to not damage the power plug. After a few minutes, allowing this module to power down, plug in the power connection and replace the Boss amplifier. Make sure the screws are in properly. After you you have successfully completed this, now start your vehicle. With a little hope, this should save you spending $1000.00+ by just resetting the power to the amplifier.
Good luck!
Thank you so much! Just happened to me after the car was outside for an extended time frame (mostly garage kept). You saved me hundreds and a the huge hassle of having to go to the dealership.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Confirming the Fix & A Big Time-Saver

Had the same thing happen with my A6, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I can confirm that powering off the amp fixes the problem. One thing, though, if powering down the Bose amp is the only thing needed, don’t overthink it….pull the Fuse! You’ll find it in the right side fuse panel in the trunk (30 amp in Slot 8, according to the owner’s manual). Definitely do not go to the effort of trying to undo any bolts, pull any connectors, or de-install anything. Just pull the Fuse, wait a few moments and plug it in, again. Done & reset in less than 10 seconds. Note that if the Mute symbol is still displayed on the radio when it reboots, just spin or press the volume wheel on the console to un-Mute it and hopefully, Voila!

As to my thoughts on any mechanic that quotes ANY amount of money to fix this problem, or blames your mother for supposedly spilling something, vote with your wallets. Do not go back.
All the best,
Garth

Last edited by GarthfromCanada; 05-11-2022 at 12:57 AM.