General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MOUNTAIN OF PROBLEMS!!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Default MOUNTAIN OF PROBLEMS!!!! HELP!

hi, i have a 2000 audi a4 1.8T quattro. there are just too problems to list. hopefully, someone can help me out before i take my car in so i know what i'm getting into (how expensive it will be!). just recently, my turn signals have been going crazy. they blink, then blink slowly,then rapidly and then stop altogether. this happens both when i'm turning right or left. but the hazards work fine. recently, something popped under my engine, breaking my fan blades and radiator. after replacing those, i noticed a really bad leak under my car. i took it into the shop and they told me it was transmission fluid. after filling up the fluid, my car hasn't been driving the same. it's most noticeable when i slow down to turn, the car feels like it's struggling a little and sometimes, the car gets a little jumpy. anyone know what this might be? i don't know if it's something the mechanic did! ALSO, my a/c doesn't feel as cold as it should be. the air blows out fine and it is cold, just not FREEZING cold like in other cars. i bought this car used two years ago, so am unsure of its history. it seems like the previous owner didn't take care of it. i already put at LEAST 5 grand in services.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: MOUNTAIN OF PROBLEMS!!!! HELP!

$5,000 in two years doesn't sound too bad if it includes, tires brakes and the timing belt job. I hope your mechanic used the propper auto trans fluid. Find a good independent Audi shop to check the electrical system.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:24 PM

what broke on the front of the engine??

Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Well luckily your turn signal problem is the least of your problems. Here's the link to the DIY forum for this problem. I bought the part online for ~$23.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_146946/tm.htm

Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM

what broke in the front of the engine to take out the fan and radiator, do you often paint your toe nails chaoboy

Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

what broke in the front of the engine to take out the fan and radiator, do you often paint your toe nails chaoboy
Sorry to disappoint, the girlfriend was dealer installed and she sits in the passenger seat with different toenail paint every week.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 PM

im not keen on the dark red like old blood lol and I wont say what the others want o see like more nail varnish lol

Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 AM

hi, well, i'm not sure what it was exactly that 'broke'. i don't know if it came from under the hood or got kicked up somehow from under the car. all i know is, my car made a huge popping noise and i saw smoke from the hood. so i popped the hood and see all this radiator fluid spraying all over me. some wires got cut, and every single fan blade was gone. so i had to carefully drive my car home and watch the temperature of the oil. i know my car needs some major repair which i can't afford right now. currently, the most annoying issue is the turn signal. HOPEFULLY, it's the hazard switch thing. could it be something else? like i said earlier, the hazards work, yet when i turn on the turn signal, i get maybe one or two clicks before it goes dead. (SOMETIMES, i'll get like....7 clicks!). it's pretty embarassing and besides, i don't change lanes as much because i don't want to get into an accident!). thanks everyone for their help.... audi's....sigh. this is my second one. i'll never learn. they're great looking cars, but waaaay too finicky for me. audis never have normal problems. it's always something crazy!

Old 07-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

im not keen on the dark red like old blood lol and I wont say what the others want o see like more nail varnish lol
I was more thinking a view from 180deg

ORIGINAL: fruit_punch_15

hi, well, i'm not sure what it was exactly that 'broke'. i don't know if it came from under the hood or got kicked up somehow from under the car. all i know is, my car made a huge popping noise and i saw smoke from the hood. so i popped the hood and see all this radiator fluid spraying all over me. some wires got cut, and every single fan blade was gone. so i had to carefully drive my car home and watch the temperature of the oil. i know my car needs some major repair which i can't afford right now. currently, the most annoying issue is the turn signal. HOPEFULLY, it's the hazard switch thing. could it be something else? like i said earlier, the hazards work, yet when i turn on the turn signal, i get maybe one or two clicks before it goes dead. (SOMETIMES, i'll get like....7 clicks!). it's pretty embarassing and besides, i don't change lanes as much because i don't want to get into an accident!). thanks everyone for their help.... audi's....sigh. this is my second one. i'll never learn. they're great looking cars, but waaaay too finicky for me. audis never have normal problems. it's always something crazy!
For the A/C thing... When you had your underhood "pop," is it possible that some debris nicked an A/C hose or connection? Have you had NE1 do a pressure check on your A/C system (hoses)?

For the turn signals, if it were me, I'd try the DIY in the link chaoboy provided. From what I've been able to discern of our beloved marque, every lil thing is on it's own circuit. I would not be too surprised if the turns and 4-ways are on separate relays.

When you had your tranny looked at, was it at the Stealership, or a tranny-specific place, like Aamco, or tranny's-by-Bob, or sunthin? If I remember correctly, Audi's require some sort of Audi-specific-blend of tranny fluid (someone please confirm my faulty memory!!!). If troo, and you used off-the-shelf-brand tranny fluid, it may be imcompatible with what was left over in your tranny when you topped it off. Also, there had to be an underlying reason WHY your original fluid leaked out. If that wasn't addressed it's possible you're low, again. <<shrugs>>

Old 07-30-2006, 01:45 PM
4th Gear

Use VW automatic transmission fluid tha t meets ESSO EGL 71141. Pentosin makes such a fluid.