General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My current issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Default My current issues.

Alright well my Audi kinda had an accident (2001 A4 1.8tQT 5spd) a little bit back. I have been postponing the repair because lack of funding, well the income tax came back a little earlier than I anticipated and I got alot back. I figured most of the work that needed to be done I can handle with a little help from the great minds of Audiforums! Anyway here goes.

One day I was driving down the street when this loud (and I mean loud) noise came from the front left under the bonnet. Then I shift into second and I heard a loud pop and plastic started to fall from under the vehicle. I pull over and I pull the hood release cable and nothing. It was loose had no tension. Well I limped over to a shop and they lifted the car 8 feet and opened the hood with a pry rod. After that we got it down to see what the hell happened. My fan blade and fan shroud assembly completely shattered. It took out a couple of vacuum hoses, hood cable, and my AC belt with it.

Now I am faced with a decision, I can have them replace the fan shroud, fan blade, all vacuum hoses, hood cable, and the AC belt, to the tune of about 1200 dollars, or I could do it myself!

That being said.....I need to know a place where I can pick up these parts on the internet, that would be greatly appreciated. Also if someone could point me into the right direction of a fan blade/fan shroud installation that would be awesome . I can do the AC belt, hood cable, and Vacuum Hoses without a DIY I just gotta find the parts.

All Help is appreciated .

Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Site Moderator

www.ecstuning.com www.purems.com www.germanpartsonline.com or if you want to save some money on the shroud you can get it used at www.shokan.com

Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 PM

Thanks! Do i need to replace the fan clutch as well? Do you know where I can find a DIY for the fan blade/shroud assembly?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Site Moderator

Look on audiworld on how to do a timing belt, that will show you have to remove the front service carrier which the shroud is attached to. Its a pretty easy fix, and yes you should replace the fan clutch.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Default hmmm

Alright i figured it was a good idea. 2 more things i need help on. How in the hell am I going to pop my hood lol. Also I dont think they make shrouds for the 1.8t. I found pulleys clutches blades but no shrouds. I found shrouds for the a4 v6 but not for the a4 4cyl.......

Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Site Moderator

Just ask shokan for a used one or get one from the dealer. I thought your mechanic already opened your hood? You will probably have to do what he did and use a long screwdriver and pop it open from the bottom.