General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my nogaro blue bikini

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default my nogaro blue bikini

my car has just recently been doing this. i'm not sure if it's in need of new tires or it's something else.
it's a slipping feel and noise when i pull into or out of a parking space or the garage, so it's a slow turn. it happens on dry pavement as well as wet, but it feels like the front tires are slipping. i don't notice anything in normal driving turns and i'm not turning the wheel to it's maximum when it makes this noise.
i've checked the steering fluid. it's full.
tire pressure in front is 39.5 and 40.5 (recommended pressure is 41). i'll add some air, but i've driven before with low tire pressure and haven't had this noise.
i've felt the tires on the inside and not sure if i know what is good and bad tread. i just got my hands all dirty. but it wasn't smooth bald.

any thoughts?
i'm still under warranty, so i can take it in. i just want to have some idea what it might be so i can offer something more intelligent than "it makes a slipping noise".

Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: my nogaro blue bikini

ORIGINAL: S4sweetee

tire pressure in front is 39.5 and 40.5 (recommended pressure is 41).
Where did you read that the tire pressure should be 41!?!? That sounds more like the MAX pressure printed in the sidewall of the tire. The recomended tire pressure should be around 31psi unless you have the car loaded down with 5 people and all of their luggage. Check the fuel filler door for the right pressures. That could be your entire problem, and if it doesn't go away, go to the dealer and have a tech or service writer ride with you as you park your car at the dealership.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Reckless_Kelly

Where did you read that the tire pressure should be 41!?!? That sounds more like the MAX pressure printed in the sidewall of the tire. The recomended tire pressure should be around 31psi unless you have the car loaded down with 5 people and all of their luggage. Check the fuel filler door for the right pressures. That could be your entire problem, and if it doesn't go away, go to the dealer and have a tech or service writer ride with you as you park your car at the dealership.
I keep my tires at max PSI and it improves handling and feel and reduces sidewall flex greatly under cornering, that and fuel econmy went up slightly. I doubt thats her problem.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: Reckless_Kelly

she might have to be at 41 cause of the low profiles, but yeah........ 32 is normally recommended unless you are running a hd truck

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

I HAVE 235/40 R18 michelin pilot sport
the inside door pannel recommends (for 2 people) 41psi front, 36psi rear.
i think the tire itself says max of 50, but i never do that.

i'll probably just take it in, demonstrate my problem and let them look.
i just thought it would be nice if i had some idea of what it might be. i just know that i haven't heard or felt this before, so my gut says it's gotta be something.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Guru

take it to walmart and have them check the tread depth...... you being a cute blonde in an s4, they probably won't charge for that

also did you feel any waves in the tread?

might have them check that too....... if all else fails, when you go to parktown, let me know, i would love to see the s