General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mystery squeal + burning rubber smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Default mystery squeal + burning rubber smell

For the last week, we've had sub-zero temps in MN. So I didn't worry about the high pitched squealing noise I was hearing initially. Cars do funny things when it's cold. For lack of a better way to describe, if you've ever heard a school bus or city bus with squeaky brakes in the vicinity of your car, it sounded just like that. The first few times I heard it, I looked around for the bus! This sound seemed very random, (I could not make it happen by turning the steering wheel or other means). But it only happened when my foot was on the gas, not necessarily accelerating but just on the gas. Never happened when idling or on start up for instance. It wasn't a constant sound and it would go away completely after the car warmed up - 10 minutes or so.

Last night, same story. Sub-zero temps. We got within a block of the house, and we smelled burning rubber. Unfortunately, it was not the clunker we just passed at the intersection. It was my 2003 Audi A6 avant - 52000 miles. Pulled into the garage, and smoke was coming out from under the hood. Raised the hood, and it was hard to tell just where it was coming from - it seemed to seep out below/near the windshield washing fluid. Plus it was so frigid cold, we didn't want to stick around and investigate.

Help me solve this mystery! Anyone had or heard of a problem like this?
My initial research seems to uncover a few possible theories: water pump bad, timing belt, another belt going out?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: mystery squeal + burning rubber smell

What shape is your coolant in?

Is there a possibility that it is quite old, or has the incorrect mixture ratio of water-to coolant?

I've had this same problem, as my water pump froze.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

most likely a seizing pulley in your serpentine belt. The bearings that are failing make themselves known when it is cold. If the belt snaps you will lose your power steering and alternator. If your A6 has the 2.7L your water pump is run off of your timing belt. I cant remember if the water pump pully uses the smooth side or toothed side of the belt... if the smooth side it could be your timing belt. If so change IMMEDIATELY. If it breaks your valves will collide with your pistons and you will need major engine work to replace valves, valve seats, and possilbly worse. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:05 PM

mystery solved - the valve cover gasket needed replacing - and according to the mechanic, a notorious issue for audis in cold weather. thanks for the input!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

A leaking vc gasket can cause a burning oil smell, even some smoke, but not " the high pitched squealing noise" you described. Your mech found a problem, but did Not find what caused the squealing sound, that's got to be a pulley/ belt probably slipping on acceleration. Have all the belts checked before you're stranded while it's zero degrees out, not much fun.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: WolfsA62.8Q

A leaking vc gasket can cause a burning oil smell, even some smoke, but not " the high pitched squealing noise" you described. Your mech found a problem, but did Not find what caused the squealing sound, that's got to be a pulley/ belt probably slipping on acceleration. Have all the belts checked before you're stranded while it's zero degrees out, not much fun.
[sm=youreright.gif]