General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Engine Overhall -New York area

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Need Engine Overhall -New York area

Hey guys new to the site. Have an '06 S4 and one of my cylinders doesn't have any compression so I need an overhall. Any suggestions of a good place to bring it to get fixed. I live in CT near New York. Thanks

Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by joseph08
Hey guys new to the site. Have an '06 S4 and one of my cylinders doesn't have any compression so I need an overhall. Any suggestions of a good place to bring it to get fixed. I live in CT near New York. Thanks
Are you sure you need a complete engine overhaul or do you just need some cylinder head work?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM
1st Gear
Default engine overhaul

Ok here is my exact situation. My low oil light has been coming on more frequently than usual so i brought it into an audi dealer. they said they did a compression test and 7 of the 8 cylinders where working correctly but #6 was totally shot and oil was leaking into the cylinder and burning there. they suggested I get a new engine but my car is an 2006 so I don't want to put a new engine on a car that old. I'm not experienced enough to know what I need, what is your opinion? And thank you very much for responding

Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Ok here is my exact situation. My low oil light has been coming on more frequently than usual so i brought it into an audi dealer. they said they did a compression test and 7 of the 8 cylinders where working correctly but #6 was totally shot and oil was leaking into the cylinder and burning there. they suggested I get a new engine but my car is an 2006 so I don't want to put a new engine on a car that old. I'm not experienced enough to know what I need, what is your opinion? And thank you very much for responding
First off, lose that dealer and find yourself a good German or European car repair shop.

Second; ask the new shop to make a bore scope inspection of the cylinder. This process is kind of like a colonoscopy for your car in that they stick a small camera down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and have a look-see. From that they can tell whether the cylinder walls are all hosed up, or if the source of the oil is simply from a messed up cylinder head.

If the problem is a head, then have the head rebuilt or replaced; problem solved. That said, if the cylinder wall is hosed up, then you're looking at an engine rebuild or a replacement.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Thank you so much

Thanks so much for your advice, it helps greatly. I did find a guy in Danbury I'm going to bring it to.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Thanks so much for your advice, it helps greatly. I did find a guy in Danbury I'm going to bring it to.
Cool, keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
1st Gear
Default there is one more twist

so i found an mechanic who used to work at an audi dealer and he told me he saw so many issues with the 4.2L V-8 that he even saw audi pick up the bill for the fix. So I called Audi Corp and I should hear back today. I will keep you posted an once again I really appreciate it.