General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help, im retarted.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Need help, im retarted.

If he WEREN'T retarded he'd have spelled it korektly, duh!

Old 08-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Senior Administrator

nly place I cud find on my D2 when I accidently killed my batt was the batt itself, in teh tunk. If teh lock is siezed you might try spraying some graphite in it and then wiggling the key (gently but firmly) back and forth, see if that frees it up. Or, get a LARGE caliber handgun or a shotgun...

Old 08-08-2005, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

Nice attention to the detail "bentframe"!!

If you read your A8 manual, it should talk about how to jump start your car. My 97 A6's battery was drained, and I had to get it jump started. As someone mentioned earlier, I found the + connector by the firewall under a black square plastic. The - is just a ground pin. I found mine about the passenger side fender by the shocks (I don't remember the exact location). But all of these were in the owner's manual. By the way, when you manage to find the connectors and hook up the jump cables to them, make sure you let the car be connected for a few minutes. Mine wouldn't start initially and I had to let it be connected for a minute or so.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 AM

I have a similar problem with a 1999 A8. My key will not unlock the trunk, the battery is dead, and, of course, is located in the trunk. I look forward to any advice and ideas.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear

It may different in the A8, but my A4 uses a different key for the door locks than the ignition. The ignition key is silver and the door key is gold. They will both fit in either of the two, but wont turn. Maybe you just need the door key.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by beefski
check manual for using a battery charger. i think you need to set it on 6v not 12v
too much juice could fry the computer.
How is 12 volts applied to the battery terminals by the battery itself any different than 12 volts applied to the battery terminals by a charger? Or 14+ volts applied to the terminals by the alternator when the motor is running?