General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with a really load noise (power steering?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help with a really load noise (power steering?)

Ok when I start the car a load noise starts. It's the same noise/whine you would here if you were low on power steering fluid. Here is all the information I know at this point
- It doesn't get any better the only time it gets alittle quiter is when you turn on the AC I'm guessing because the belt isn't moving as fast since I kicked on the compressor.
- The noise itself seems to be coming from the bottom driver side of the block but not 100% sure on the location
-I just filled my power sterring fluid up about a month ago and it's a quarter of the way down already (yes I did use the mineral stuff)
-Steering still seems to be free although at slow speeds (5mph or lower) there is a squeeking and a grinding sound coming from the middle of the car and passanger side wheel well.
-My idle is going up and down from 1500 to 500 where it almost stalls out when it is first started.
Well I hope this all helps someone help me. If you have any idea's on what it could be please post and if anyone has a diagram as to where the power steering pump is or could tell me please post as well. Thanks cause I really need the help on this one. Here are the specs of my car. 1993 90s, V6 non-Quattro, automatic.
Thanks again and if this is in the wrong forum please tell me where to redirect it.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Default RE: Need help with a really load noise (power steering?)

NO FAULT CODES? im thinking possible thermostatic or coolant temp sensor but that's only a guess

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
4th Gear

You might have a power steering leak. Let's
hope it's not the steering rack.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

I do have two codes. I haven't gotten them checked yet but the reason I know there are two is one comes on and stays on until the car is turned of the other, when the check engine light comes on if I put my foot under the gas pedal and lift up the light goes off. What other signs would I see or hear if it was the rack? Where is the power steering pump? Like I said there is some squeeking and like a grinding noise on the right side and it seems like the middle (but it might just be the sound traveling from the well?) when I'm turn at slow speeds. The car is going in the shop this weekend to get the lower control arm bushings on both sides changed and I'm also having the front and rear sub frame bushings changed so as of right now I can't really say if my steering is bad since these bushings are so shot. Thanks for the help and keep it coming I need to get it fixed asap. I have a 7 year old son that twice a week I drive 3 hours away for theropy cause he has MS so we need the car badly. Thanks again for the help! I appreciate it ALOT!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

I forgot to mention the noise is non stop from the time I turn the key on to the time I shut the car down. If I do turn the wheel all the way to either side it does seem to quite down alittle bit. Could all this really be the rack? The only reason I ask is how could the rack make noise if the car isn't moving or if the wheel isn't being turned? I thought the car would have to be going threw some type of motion for the rack to make noise especially this god awful whine! Thanks guys and I'm sorry for rambling on but my son and I need this car bad!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

BUMP!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

You're right, it doesn't sound like the steering rack, but most likely the ps pump. Once this pump goes, it will still make noise even if the fluid is full.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

The weird thing about all of this is when you kick on the AC the noise gets so quite it's like it's not even there? Now someone told me that it sounds like the compressor is going but I'm still leaning towards the P/S pump cause it would make sense that the noise on the PS pump would get quiter by engaging the AC compressor cause the belt would be moving alittle slower due to driving the compressor thus slowing down the pump, right?