General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New ownership problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Default New ownership problems

First post for me, hello all.

Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 98' 97,000 FSH

I've owned this car since this Saturday and it's in top-notch condition, however I have two concerns I’m hoping others may have some knowledge about:

Firstly 3 times since Saturday the rear speakers (6 Bose, 4 front, 2 rear) drop out 6 seconds after you turn the stereo on and the 6 disc changer in the boot "freezes" at the same time and won't respond to the head unit. The only remedy is to reload the changer and all is fine again. I must add that this is 3 times out of maybe 20 in those 5 days but still to often. Any ideas? Anyone else suffered this?

Secondly I find that when I travel round corners at a certain degree (long bends) and especially left hand bends at 40mph or more I can hear a repetitive thud noise coming from the front wheel area like something catching or out of alignment. The Discs are only 1400 miles new and the tyres are around the same age. This also happens on right hand bends but is either quieter or more than likely less obvious because it's the passenger side.

Any ideas chaps?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: New ownership problems

I can offer a suggestion for teh second one, nothing on teh first, however.

The noise you're hearing MAY be your outer CV joint going south. Check, or have someone check the boot (NO, not THAT boot, the rubber thingie that surrounds the CV joint, itself... SHeeesh! Brits!) to make sure it's not cracked, torn or missing. If it's intact, and you manage to rule out all other possibilities, it may be worth it to have a lookie inside the... ummm... rubber-thingie. Maybe it's been previously repaired but someone had a dodgie go at it (see, I speak Brit!) and dint pack it right... I'm guessing that's the culprit, tho, b/c you say it's noisier going left, AND you drive on teh wrong side of teh road. Noise'd be more pronounced if the angle were more sharp. On OUR side of teh pond it tends towards teh r/h... ummm... rubber-thingies going out, b/c out r/h turn are sharper... Am I rambling again? I am? OK, I'll stop now.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Default RE: New ownership problems

I've spent 2 hours searching the net and have come to the conclusion that it's either the Cv joint or a bad bearing.

Thanks for your help.