General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odd noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default Odd noises

All right, I've got my 99 A4TQM with a few odd noises. The first seems to have been cured, it was making an almost indescribable, yet very quiet sort of whirring noise until the oil temp came up. I changed the oil with Penzoil full synthetic and a Purolator filter and viola, no more noises. But the second noise is still there. It sounds much like a squeaky brake coming from the front left wheel. It doesn't seem to change in intensity or volume with vehicle speed, and it's not the engine because it isn't dependent on engine speed (shut the car off while rolling down a hill to be sure.) It's almost inaudible, but it is definately there. Any ideas? I am about 100% sure it's not like, a loose brake pad or anything because it passed it's MA state inspection only a few days ago and the brakes are one thing they check. I'm stumped, because I've taken the wheel off and visually inspected it, finding nothing.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Odd noises

Sometimes aftermarket brake pads make noise. Also if the rotors werent changed with the new pads they sometimes make noise.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Administrator

You're 100% sure all the brake parts are where they're supposed to be? I had a similiar sound coming from my r/r axle shortly after purchasing mine, turned out to be a slipped pad was ever-so-slightly wearing against the side of the rotor hat. Pulled the wheel, cudn't find anythuing obvious... Pad "looked" OK. Dint think to check it from a different angle. Eventually it wore through enough that when I hit the brakes it SNAPPED the rotor off of the hat (a 1-piece casting, on stock rotors).

double check, to make SURE, fore your own sake.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Well, I like taking things apart so, I'll be doing that today to check everything out. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

if its a whirring noise im pretty sure its the wheel bearing going, try this jack up the side that you hear it from and try and jiggle the wheel, if you get any play its definetly your wheel bearing.