General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 PM
1st Gear
Question Please help

So, I just bought a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T 8 days ago. I have driven it in the bad weather to get around. I was told to baby it, so I did. No speeding or revving, premium gas, letting it run to warm up before I drive it, etc. I bought it with 84,000 miles on it. After I had it for 3 days, I brought it to Volvo where work to have an oil change done. That was on Tuesday. I drove it hoe from work an then to work and back the next day. It's maybe 30 miles round trip. I didn't drive it on Thursday. Then on Friday I was driving to New York, as soon as I got on the highway for about 5 miles or so, my check engine oil level light came on. When this happened I heard this slipping noise, almost like it wasn't catching the gears, and I couldn't accelerate on the gas, only coast. I pulled over and left the car there for a few hours. When I got back, I tried to drive it straight home. I was in the car for maybe 5 minutes then was unable to accelerate again. When I started it back up there was a loud rattling noise under the hood. I pulled over again and checked the oil level, which was about 2-3 inches above the maximum oil line on my dipstick. Car was semi warm and on flat ground. I check both sides, they were the same. after I checked the oil level, I turned the car back on. The rattling noise got louder and my check engine light came on. I was afraid to drive it, so I left it in a lot overnight. When I went back to get it in the morning it wouldn't start. I had it towed to work and they are giving me al kinds of crap. Does anyone know what this could be? What would cause this? Could this happen from over filling the oil? Can anyone give me any direction to find out what caused this or how to fix it?

Last edited by karli3483; 02-14-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

Hi. I am an ex Audi Technician. Sounds like the engine oil pump has failed. This is quite common on the A4 1.8t of your model. These engines should have the larger oil filter fitted, but when the smaller ones are fitted, the oil is not being filtered enough and over time the strainer on the oil pump blocks up and the oil pressure fails. This is why the engine is clattering (no oil circulating) . DO NOT start the engine, the pump will need to be replaced with the strainer. Quite a big job, the engine needs to be supported from above and the subframe lowered and sump removed.