General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Possible A3 Engine Damage Due To No Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Default Possible A3 Engine Damage Due To No Oil

I'm sending this question out in the general category, because I'm hoping to hear from anyone who may have some experience or helpful advice for my particular problem. I have a 2008 A3 with approximately 6000 km's. I had an oil change done (not at an Audi Dealership), and a disastrous error occurred when the shop accidentally drained the existing oil and forgot to replace with new oil. The techs pulled the car out of the shop, drove it to the front of the store, where I took possession of it. I turned on the vehicle, pulled out of the parking lot, accelerated onto the main road, and that's when I heard the grinding noise and my oil pressure light came on. I immediately knew what probably happened and proceeded to turn the car right back around to the shop. In order to get back to the parking lot, I had to drive about 300 meters, which I basically did by limping the car under idle revs. The shop has been very good in dealing withtheir mistake, theyimmediatelytook the car to the Audi dealership to have it inspected. The Audi dealershiptook a look at both the top and bottom portions of theengine andcould notsee any damage.They have told the oil shopexactly this but are being very careful tosay that there could be internal damage that they arenot seeing. Right now,I along with theoilshop are faced with the decisionwhether to do further engine inspection, replace the engine entirely, or take the chance that little to no damage was done. Any thoughts or advice?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Possible A3 Engine Damage Due To No Oil

I would say first off, do NOT take the chance that no damage was done. You have a new car - don't run the risk of it being ruined and having no recourse. If you sign off saying "I'll take my chances" then they're basically off the hook, and if it turns out that there are problems, you'll be paying for the repairs.

I'd say have the engine replaced with a new one if the shop will cover that (voluntarily I mean - there's no doubt that they're at fault and a lawsuit would yield the same result, but if they'll just do it then that's better). If they balk at it and won't do so without a full inspection, then you'll have to work that out. Whatever you do though, don't just take your chances. With a 15 year old beater maybe, but not a current-model-year, expensive German car.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Possible A3 Engine Damage Due To No Oil

Replacement!!!

Get a legal help!