General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Quattro knowledge?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default Quattro knowledge?

Do you think a Quattro can spin the front (both) wheels simultaneously and not moving ahead (rear wheels not moving)?
(tires are same-al 4)

Have you experienced a condition like this?

Do you think it is normal for a Quattro to behave like this or it is malfunctioning

Do you think any DTC could be applicable here or the Quattro is still pure mechanical system)?

Please before answer, make sure you know what you have for Quattro, lets say how many differentials you have and what type they areā€¦
Please answer if you think the Quattro is the real feature that distinguishes the Audis from the rest!

(no downscaling of the importance of interior, exterior, modsā€¦ )

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Quattro knowledge?

i have a fully stock drivetrain minus the mounts but the stock center diff, the only one really since the front and rear are open, should send power to the wheel that have the most traction so if your front wheel has most traction than the front should have gooten most power and you should have moved, ive never had a time where only a set of wheels were spinning ive done some AWD lauches and according to my friends the front wheels spun and to a slower pace so did the rear and i just took off. dont know if that answers or helps you with your question.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

I have 2 quattro equipped Audis.
The first is an original Quattro.
It has lockable center, and rear diffs. The frontwas desigined not tolock as that would cause severe problems while turning the car.
The other car has just arear diff that canlock manually, but disengages at aprox. 15 mph.
It has a torque sensing capability to disapate more load to the rear if needed.

I have driven both of these cars in every type of weathercondition there is, and have never spun both front wheels at the same instance.

I have even driven a HALDEX based car, and have never seen the situation you have described.

Might possibly this( the car your speaking of)be a FWD car, with a limited slip, or sport front diff?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

It seems to me that only quattro generation III (V8) is immune to "front axle loses traction" event.

All other Quattro generations could get in trouble.