General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

quattro question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 AM
4th Gear
Default quattro question.

i never noticed this on my last quattro and on this it may the alignment but does anyone else quatrro make noises like going over a rumble strip when turning right, it only happens at higher up speeds, i was thinking it may be the camber being off by a degree on the right or the diff may be tired and in need of a tranny flush. what do you guys think.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: quattro question.

thats funny you posted that, i noticed it the other day when i had my stereo off comin back from work, it wasnt something i could feel but just hear. id also like to know what this could be.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 AM
4th Gear

Just wondering how many miles does your car have, i got about 147k so i was thinking its just the old fluid starting to wear thin and lets the diffs start rubbing, im gonna get this done soon and let ya know what the outcome is.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 AM

I can't say I know what your talking about but I'll check when I go over some rumble strips tomorrow on my way to class.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds more like a wheel bearing starting to go out.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:48 AM
4th Gear

i dont think its a wheel bearing. i did the ghetto test i found on audiworld the B5 FAQ site and none of wheels had play in them. also today i got the car washed and until i got on road it was quiter than usual.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:08 AM
3rd Gear

Most audi wheel bearings wont have play in them when they go bad. Sweerve the car back and forth. If the noise is loud when you go one direction but goes away when you go the other you have a bad wheel bearing.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Senior Administrator

Yeah, what Dank said. Even on cars that DO get play in them when the bearings go you'll sometimes get that noise/feeling before the wiggle is evident. take it out somewhere where you can swerve, gently, between two lanes and see if the noise/feeling changes with steering angle. If so, it's almost assuredly your bearings.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:40 AM
4th Gear

****. so how much is this gonna cost me. i probably need to get this done and also the camber on the right side.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Administrator

the parts aren't that expensive, and, if you have the right tools (which ARE expensive) you can DIY it w/o having to take teh knuckle off and necessitation a trip to the tire store for an alignment. w/o the right tool you'll prolly get raped for labor. As for the parts, check teh usual suspects and/or PM rayveedub, see if he can save you a little pocket change.

Quick Reply: quattro question.