General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio Reception Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
I know what you mean. They are called "remote" power leads. I'm sure that one of the wires from the factory radio is one of these because of the separate power booster much like the one you want to add. But you could just wire the new to an accessory power circuit so that always powers up when the ignition is turned on.
Okay last question then Ill stop annoying you

Do you have any more info about powering these devices? Specifically is there a space to connect those red and black wires or do you need to get an adapter or some kind of connector?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 AM
2nd Gear

Not annoying at all, man. I simply found an accessory powered circuit on the fuse panel located in one of the kick panels under the dash and tapped into the "power" side of the fuse of the circuit by striping back the wire insulation enough to allow it (the red power wire) to be slipped into the fuse socket a little with the fuse removed. Reinsert the fuse, letting it drag the wire into the socket with it. Being careful not to allow the wire fray enough to bridge the two spads on the fuse. Allowing this to happen will render the fuse unable to blow thus defeating the purpose of the fuse. The black wire will be the ground and can be attached to any screw that screws into the body of the car. There are usually a couple to pick from in the same area. Use a crimp-on round lug that will allow said screw to go through to insure a good connection. Proper grounding is as or more important than the power feed. Bad grounding can cause all kinds of weird issues that will make you scratch your head..