General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rattling sound V6. Chain? Tensioner? What else?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Default Rattling sound V6. Chain? Tensioner? What else?

Hi, I'm new here! Got a prob on my A4 2.4 V6 00'.
It's a bugging noise in the engine bay. I cant quite describe it, but it sounds like a diesel, maybe bubbling combined with rattling or smthn.

See here for yourselves, youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbR52JM_Os

Don't mind the lifter ticking, the engine is cold. The noise is more pronounced when the engine warms up(think, becouse the lifters are quieter then). Later I will add a video with the engine in higher rews.

Thanks for the replys.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Rattling sound V6. Chain? Tensioner? What else?

The diesel sound usually signifies the cam chain tensioner going south on you. I'm not sure about the architecture of the 2.4L engine, but if it's similar to our US-spec 2.8 30v, where the timing belt drives only the exhaust cams, then you likely have the same intake-cam chain drive system we have. If the tensioner is going out on you, it sounds like a diesel. It's a good idea to find out soon - maybe send a PM to member Techbod - he's a UK-based, tech-certified member (I believe he works for a dealership or Audi-related shop), and he's probably familiar with that engine and could help you more than most of us who are in the US and don't have the option of that engine.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Default RE: Rattling sound V6. Chain? Tensioner? What else?

Weel a while a go I went to a service, after a carefull inspcetion and listening, they allso told that it's the tensioner making noise. So I wanted to hear an opinion of others too. I have heard that if oil lines ar cloged the tensioner can get noisy, but I have only 100k miles on my audi(maybe more), I don't want to believe that these oil lines can clog up at that time.

I think the 2.4 V6 30V ir allmost the same as 2.8 only the(bore? stroke?) is different.

My local dealer in Latvia told me that this tensioner costs 313 Ls(in our currrency) it's about 650 US dollars, is that ok?