General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rear speakers dont work

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:57 AM
1st Gear
Default rear speakers dont work

i have a 97 a4 with all stock sound system. i dont think its the bose system cause none of the speakers say bose on them and i dont see an amplifier anywhere. i noticed today that the 2 rear speakers werent working so i took them out and they were both blown. so i replaced them with some infinity speakers i have that i took out of my last car (so i know the speakers are good) but they still dont work. everything else works tho. the stock stereo, tweeters, and front door speakers all work but i get nothing from the rear. is there a seperate fuse for the rear that could have blown when the previous owner blew the rear speakers? or could there be someting else wrong?? thanks for the help

Old 01-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: rear speakers dont work

There's an amp SOMEWHERE. Either as part of teh head unit, or a separate piece, hidden, somewhere. Generally speakers don't just "blow" for no gud reason. Something allowed too much jiuce through. Fuses, by their very nature, prevent that from happening.

You SURE previous owner kept the system stock? SOunds like s/he dint, but removed whatever incriminating evidence to that effect was there. But, for some reason dint replace the speakers, or, a better thought is: they did replace the speakers, but with CHEAPIE units that cudn't handle the stock headunit/amp's output. They then fried and the resulting power surge smoked the rear-amp output curcuits.

I'd say, at the very least, yur gonna hafta pull the head out and start checking output leads wit yur multi-meter... As a start...

Next...?

Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

well yeah they did have a system in the car cause there is wiring for an amp ran to the trunk, and the 2 rear speakers were both blown so your prolly right. but where will i find the stock amp at to check the voltage to it and stuff?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

i'm still wondering where the amp and everything is located. can anybody help me with this? the stock speakers were blown when i bought the car so i replaced them and they still dont work. the drivers side rear speaker has some kinda circuit board attached to the bottom of the speaker, i dont know if that plays any role in the speaker not working or not, but i doubt it since the passenger side doesnt work either. and i checked for fuses and didnt find any fuse for them, so where should i be looking next? i mean, i could always just run my own speaker wires to the speakers and hook them up myself, but i would rather use all the stock wiring and everything if i can, so any help would be great. thanks