General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing the Transmission Control Module (TCM) $2500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default TCM bad

I have an 2003 audi 1.8t can somebody tell me where is the TCM located? Is it inside the transmission???

Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

is it the FWD or the Quatro?

On the 2003 A4 1.8 T FWD the TCM is located at the back of the trani (unlike the Quotro where it can be found under the driver side floor pad)

If it is the FWD, then you have to drop the trani, drain the fluid to access the TCM.

A mechanic pulled it out for me (and after it was fixed, placed it back in) for $200. I sent the TCM to a company in Toronto that will actually fix the part (its just a computer chip afterall), they offer lifetime warantee on thier fix and it only costed $350 plus tax......i changed the trani (recommend) fluid while we were at it $150 worth of expensive fluid.

Math: $200+$400+$150 = $750

Dealership quoted my $1,900 for this job....so I saved myself $1150!

Car works like a charm now....I sold it to a buddy of mine...got tired of the bs "german engeenering" machine that gave me nothing but head aches.

I have a mitsubishi now...fine japanese rice burner that is a tank and 4 years later 150000km and I havent touched the engine.

Good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

BBA -Remanufactoring fixes your tcm for about $350 plus tax

(ca-sales@bba-reman.com)

Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

I though the module was under the windshield, my car is driving in auxiliary mode and I was hoping to fix it myself, found one for $70 with a one year warranty. Any opinions on this?

Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 AM
1st Gear

I am interested to learn how the replacement/rebuild of your TCM turned out. My sons car is now flashing the PRNDS. I just bought him a used 2003 A4. Three days later the flashing started. Hope to learn from you and save money on the repairs.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Tcm

This is one of the worst things about Audi. The CVT transmission is totally controled by the Transmission Control Module. When they came out with the CVT, it was the "greatest thing since sliced bread", but it came out with problems. The early models have flaws in the TCM and, sure enough, go bad and have to be replaced.

Of course, Audi does not acknowledge this flaw. However, the dealership sure enjoys the flaw because of the revenue.

The TCM is mounted in the transmission. It can be removed from the back of the transmission without lowering the transmission, however, there is a support bracket that has to be removed and taken out of place to get at the TCM cover and TCM. The TCM is not that big and has "arms", so care should be taken in the removal and installation process.

The $2,500 estimate is about right at a dealership. The good news is that the dealership will have to make it "right", versus a local shop that may not be as familiar. In my case, I did NOT use the dealership. I had a local shop remove the TCM, sent it to Xemodex in Canada, they re-programmed the component, then I had it reinstalled. This can be done for much less. The module re-programming is about $350. The removal of the TCM is about $200to remove and the same to re-install.

When the TCM begins to provide the alert check engine light, you should take action. If you wait, there are potential problems that begin to arise. First, the car will not want to shift into reverse. It will eventually, but is slow. If you continue, the module can send eroneous information to the transmission and, yes, ultimate total destruction of the transmission can occur. Not a good situation.

I have the shop manual on my car, so I have the documents about how to remove the TCM, etc.

My car is a 2003 A4 Cabriolet, 3.0 with the CVT. I have come to hate my car and the responses from Audi. I bought the car new and seem to have had things go wrong every few months since new...many small, several major.
I went back to BMW...totally satisfied.

I hope I have helped you some.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2008 / Transmission control flashing/engine light on and off

Hey Guys !
I have a little problem with my Audi A4 2008
The transmission range sensor or the circuit range / performance or the TCM
My PRDS is flashing at some point and my engine light goes on and off at some point... Any ideas what could be the real problem ? I am going to see the dealer in 2 days in order to know exactly but I don't know how much it will cost metro get it all fixed, any suggestions ??? Even if I have to see some other shop in boston Ma... Thank you.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Cvt

You're not going to like the answer.

Problem:

Read through previous threads on this topic since I was one that posted several. When the gear dash light (Park, Reverse, Drive) starts flashing, it is indicative of the problem with the Transmission Control Module of the Continuously Variable Transmission.

While the transmission was touted as "fewer moving parts and high degree of reliability"...they were wrong. The early versions of the CVT, of which I had a 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet, are now showing the problems. The TCM will have to be replaced and then the new transmission TCM re-programmed.

Do not go very long. If not addressed, the transmission can actually destroy itself. You will likely notice the transmission not engaging very quickly when shifting into reverse...then unusual shifting when going forward.

Solution:

You won't like the solutions either. There was a class action law suit against Audi for the TCM problems. It was settled and Audi agreed to fix or reimburse for costs associated with this problem, but, as you might expect, it had conditions. One of which was that the car had to be under 100,000 miles. Naturally, most of the TCM problems occur just under that and of course over 100,000 miles. Many people, including me, were screwed and had no relief for the cost.

Costs:

You basically have two choices.

1. Go to the dealership. They will likely charge you between $2,500 and $3,000. They will fix it correctly since they have multiple bulletins on the topic. They replace the TCM and re-program

2. You can check with a local shop to have the TCM removed and there is a firm in Canada that will re-program the TCM and then you can have it re-installed. They guarantee their work and guarantee the re-program corrects the problem. That is what I did. The cost is about $300 to have it re-programmed and you can decide if you have the time to allow the TCM to travel by regular mail to them or overnight up and back...which can easily add about $100. The TCM has protruding parts (fingers) that are sensors.
So, the TCM has to be extracted a bit carefully, but for sure, inserted correctly. If you need the firm name in Canada, I can get it from my maintenance file, but don't have it at the office today. You can probably Google the TCM re-programming and locate them.

I hope the information was of some help.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default replacement video

Hi, I found this video on replacing my tcm on my 2004 Sebring. looks simple enough that I could probably do it myself. here is the link. hope it helps you because it is going to save me a lot of money. good luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yitCY5uPlDcr4T8CbSt

Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Cool A4 b6 cvt tcm

Has anybody sent a TCM to this servicer, they repair your unit and program it, thanks

Known problems:

- TROUBLE CODES FOR THE TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR
- BLINKING PRNDS indicator
- VEHICLE SHIFTS INTO NEUTRAL GEAR
- LOSING, INTERMITTENT OR IMPLAUSIBLE SPEED SENSORS SIGNALS

Considering the massive amount of 2005 to 2008 AUDI's with CVT transmission TCM failures, we perfected a REPAIR KIT that will completely restore your TCM for these known problems.

We do repair both types of those modules - those with a round and rectangular plug.

You will send us your bad CONTROL MODULE. We will install the REPAIR KIT, make necessary repairs on the circuit board, perform a final test and return it to you.
No additional programming is required.

Procedure takes 1-2 bus days.
Not all modules are repairable, and unfortunately, some of them damaged beyond the repair point.

This is your mechanic's responsibility to pinpoint the problem in the Transmission Control Module.

The range sensor itself, valve body and wiring must be tested for possible failures.

We do not diagnose the problem over the phone!

For years and thousands of those modules repaired we have practically no warranty returns.

Removing-Installation instructions for DIY available, email me after buying this service, but it's recommended to do the replacement in a professional mechanic shop, as the transmission needs to be lowered and tail cover removed to get access the TCM.

Non-repairable modules, or modules with no repairs needed will be returned to you for the shipping cost.

Please, pack it very well ( we recommend to double box it),
include copy of your Paypal payment to identify yourself and send to:

MODULE REPAIR PRO
5911 Lemona Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91411

You pay shipping to send it to us, we pay shipping to send it back. Priority mail with delivery confirmation included in the price. Optional overnight is available during checkout.

Repairs done to Your Transmission Control Module covered with LIFETIME warranty .
Dealer price is around $2500 for the TCM and installation.

We need and expect you to read the listing for "How It Works" and all general questions,
please only dial 818-429-4889 if your question wasn't already answered.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Transmission Control Module (TCM) $2500 ?