General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reprogram Keyless Remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default Reprogram Keyless Remote

The batteries recently went out in my keyless remote. I purchased new batteries and now I need to reprogram the remote to my car. The owners manual said to take the car to the dealer to be reprogramed. Does anyone know how to do this without dishing out a lot of money to the stealership? By the way, my car is a 1997 A4 1.8T

Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear

I know you have a different model, but my 1995 A6's owner's manual actually gives different instructions than taking it to a dealer. It may work for you as well, since the programming units are made by the same manufacturer, based on the same principle.

Programming control unit with key codes
The key codes are programmed into the control unit for the central locking system at factory. Reprogramming is only necessary in exceptional cases. If certain repairs are performed on the central locking system, or if lost keys are replaced or additional keys provided, it is necessary to program the new transmitter codes into the memory of the control unit. The memory can store the codes of up to four keys.
To program the codes into the memory, proceed as follows:
* Insert any of the car keys into the steering lock and switch on the ignition
* Lock the vehicle with another key on the driver's or passenger's side. Remove the key. (It is advisable to use the key whose code you are going to be programming into the memory.)
* Point the key whose code is to be programmed at the infrared sensor and briefly press the transmitter button from one to four times. Pressing the button once will program memory position No.1, pressing it twice will program position No.2, and so on. The sequence of the transmitter pulses must occur in one second intervals, but note that the sequence of up to four pulsesmust be completed within five seconds. The anti-theft alarm will sound the horn briefly after each signal to confirm proper reception.
* Wait five seconds after entering the last pulse, and then press the button once again. The vehicle will unlock and the programming is finished. The programming must be completed within 30 seconds after locking the vehicle. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the procedure by relocking the driver's or passenger's door.
Note: You must perform the described procedure for each key. If you do not know wich location in the memory is still open (for example, when replacing a key), it is advisable to reprogram the codes of all available keys into the memory.
As well, there's another little section, under "Controls and equipment" chapter.

Programming the keys
* With the ignition off, open the driver's door and leave it open. Depress the infrared button on the master key to be programmed to lock the doors. All of the doors, except the driver's door will then be locked.
* Depress and hold the memory button to be programmed while the infrared button on the master key to unlock the doors. Release the memory button. The master key used is now programmed to the memory button which you used.
Master keys can be reprogrammed to different memory buttons as necessary. Any new assignment automatically erases the previously programmed assignment.
I hope this will help you at least try and see if it works.
Please let us know how you fared.
chefro

Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
4th Gear

The following instructions are to reprogram your switchblade key fob.

1. Take a spare key and insert it into the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

2. Roll down your window just in case. Step outside the car, and lock the car with a second key.

3. With your second key fob press the unlock button. The lights should flash.

4. Now lock the car with the key fob, and then unlock it.

5. Remove the key from the lock and the key from the ignition, and try it's function.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

I appreciate the help, but neither method has helped. I will take some pictures of my keys and remote and post them, hopefully that will help.