General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

reseting the service light

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Default reseting the service light

Hello Audi enthusiasts

My 2002 A4 is off warranty and I really want to stay away from the stealership for service. They are very un-reasonable. I've used forums before and I know they are an excellent source for information. Thanks to intelligent caring people who like to share information.

Problem #1: I want to reset the service light on my dash. I've already performed the necessary oil change required, however the light still remains on. I'm sure this is an easy one.

Problem #2: My window switches on driver and passenger side have a mind of their own. One day they are working and another day they are not. Is this a known problem with these A4's? Where would I start if I was to diagnose the problem? Shall I take the door panels off to examine the switches? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: reseting the service light

just in regards to your service light, the only way i know of getting it to turn off is hooking up a computer to your OBD II and sending the command. This really sucks cuz the dealership keeps chargin me 75 bucks to turn it off and 100 if there is something wrong, for them to tell me.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 AM

Use VAG-Com to reset the service interval, if you don't have the VAG-com program, find some one in your area who does. On the A6 there are two reset buttons in the cluster, left is for Check testing, reset the odometer, right one can reset the service interval. Check in the owner's manual, not sure of the actual sequence

Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

You should be able to rest the service light by pushing buttons near the Tach and speedometer.
Check your owner's manual.
You should own a code reader anyway.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

Funny- just had to do this today (reset the service light that is).

1. Insert key but do not turn on vehicle.
2. Press and hold "Service" button on dash (the one that looks like a wrench)
3. Turn key to ACC position (where everything in the car is powered on, but without actually starting the car)
Once you do this, it should show something along the lines of "???? Miles to Service"
4. Now release the wrench button and push the odometer reset button (the one with "0.0" right next to the wrench)
The key to this whole thing is pressing the odometer reset button quickly...before the screen switches to "Please depress clutch to start vehicle" or whatever the crap it says....

If it's done correctly, you should be able to turn the key off and back to ACC and the "Service" interval will be reset. It took me 2 tries this afternoon, but it works like a charm. A key bit of info for any DIY'er if ya ask me