General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

S4 Transmission trouble code problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Default S4 Transmission trouble code problem

I have a B5 2001 S4, i have a check engine light on for a torque converter problem, my transmission seems to be working correctly and i have had no problems with it. the vehicle has had it's transmission fliud changed and it is full.
I am not sure what to do to fix the problem it seems like no shop around can seem to get the problem solved. does anyone know what to do?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2007, 04:13 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: S4 Transmission trouble code problem

If you have a fault code for the torque converter it usually means its faulty and needs to be replaced. There are acouple of tsb's for torque converter faults and they all usually mean you have to replace the torque converter, most commonly for the tcc lock up. I would do it for ya if you were in the sacramento area. If the check engine light doesn't bother you it won't damage your transmission but i recommend replacing the torque converter when you can.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

That's a bad code. When was the fluid changed? What fluid did you use? How did you change it? How you do know it's full, & not under/over filled?

What code did you get? If it's working fine with no problems, chances are it hasn't failed yet, and you need to make sure the fluid is at the proper level.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 PM

The fluid was drained and checked for metal in it, there was none. the fluid was changed at the shop i work for and refilled with Audi brand ATF fluid only puchased at an audi dealership through the shop. The fluid was changed about 4 months ago and the light will go off and come back on by it's self some times staying on fora weeks and them going off for a week or two. the transmission seems to work correctly never causes me any problem. I personally do not know how to add any more to the transmission and only the amount taken out was put back in...i think... no less was put in i know that i watched the guy take it out. I just don't want my transmission to blow.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Ninja S4

The fluid was drained and checked for metal in it, there was none. the fluid was changed at the shop i work for and refilled with Audi brand ATF fluid only puchased at an audi dealership through the shop. The fluid was changed about 4 months ago and the light will go off and come back on by it's self some times staying on for a weeks and them going off for a week or two. the transmission seems to work correctly never causes me any problem. I personally do not know how to add any more to the transmission and only the amount taken out was put back in... i think... no less was put in i know that i watched the guy take it out. I just don't want my transmission to blow.
To change the fluid, the trans must be up at temp, and the car must be running, with the car in gear, & you need to go threw each gear as you are filling. If the car was not running when you filled it, then you don't have enough fluid in there.