General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner Mounting Question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 08:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Serpentine Belt Tensioner Mounting Question??

So I have a 08 A4 2.0t and I posted asking under the B7 forum but haven't gotten an answer and I need to get the car back together so I'm hoping someone here can help with my issue, here's my post from original thread- I have a 2008 A4 2.0t, I've had it a few weeks now, looking at the engine while idling I noticed 1. The alternator, It's pulley, as well as the belt all looked too clean to not have been changed recently & 2. The Tensioner was rocking/vibrating a lot, not knowing much about cars It took me a few days to figure out it shouldn't be doing that, especially not as much as it was. I ordered a new one & installed it with no issues removing the old 1 nor installing new 1 until I realized I didn't take a pic for reference when it comes to the engine lifting hook & whether it sits between tensioner an engine or if tensioner goes in the middle. Looking online I've found a few pic with it both ways but when I put hook in between it causes the roller on tensioner to sit off the belt jus as much as hook is wide, also the hook is pressed very tightly up against the coolant line the runs in front of engine to thermostat so much it's scratched the metal pipe. From wat I can tell there would be no way I could avoid hook & pipe touching due to how pipe screws into manifold but it I bolt Tensioner against engine with hook on the outside the roller/pulley looks perfectly aligned with serpentine belt, the hook no longer sits against the lil coolant pipe this way either. So does anyone know the correct way to bolt Tensioner on or does it really matter? The second question I have is that when removing old part I noticed the top screw was fairly loose compared to the other 2, when installing new part the other 2 bolts are fine but the top one won't seem to tighten fully, it will get to a point when if I try turning it anymore it becomes looser rather than tighter, I tried switching bolt spots but same results on top hole so I was wondering if it's ok for me to use the Blue colored threadlocker stuff on top bolt? It says medium strength and that it's "hand tool removable" so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't lock bolt into hole as much as it might help it stay tight until the next time I need to unbolt it for whatever reason.