General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

single click Power Window not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
1st Gear
Default single click Power Window not working

I have an 01 TT coupe, and the driver window only went down, down, then down, and I remembered I could make it go back up by putting the key in the door, and still it struggled to get back up. Now the switch doesn't operate on a single click, nor does it open the 1/4 inch to let air out when closing the door. It now does operate at normal speed but with a little bit of a rubbing sound. I took off the panel, and checked tightness, and there's grease on the rails.. Is there a way to get into the cable and grease that or should I look into something else?
Thanks.
Gabe

Old 07-12-2005, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Regulator/ motor

Usally if the window only goes down and not back up again this will be the regulator, you can tell this as the window will tilt at an angle go really slowly and proberly start going back down again, to fix this you need a new regulator.

How ever if the window has gone to it's limit e.g all the way down and got stuck this will proberly be the motor. If you have the door card off and whatch you'll see that the spring loaded cable won't spring back that little bit to open the spring when it reachs it's limit, if this is the case take the three securing screws out and remove the motor (BE CARFULL THAT YOU DON'T PULL OUT THE CABLE ROLL THAT THE MOTOR FIT'S INTO) What you have to do is pull it out slightly push a screw driver down the back and prize it off the motor's rotor as you remove the motor from the door. As you remove the motor you will see the springs on the cables spring out slightly then you refit the motor and the window will go up perfectly. This means that you need a new motor.

To program the windows 1 touch function you need to wind the window all the way to the top and then hold the button in the up direction for about 10 seconds then try using the 1 touch function somtimes it take sevral attemps.

Audi scientist
(Lets see what happens if I turn this?)

Old 07-12-2005, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Regulator/ motor

Thanks for the detail. I'll try that this afternoon.
The window did go up and down via the switch after I got it to go up via the key in the door.
I was mostly concerned with the one-touch and the automatic 1/4 gap when opening closing.
Hopefully holding it up for 10 seconds will re-set it... Just a note. The passenger switch on the drivers door still functions correctly.
Thanks
Gabe

Old 07-13-2005, 03:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Regulator/ motor

Holding the switch worked.
After about 5 seconds, you could hear the motor move and then it was ready to go.
Thanks a million.
Gabe