General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange power steering whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear
Default strange power steering whine

The noise i'm describing sounds identical to being low on power steering fluid. However, i've checked and flushed the power steering fluid and the noise is still there. Also, it does not increase or change pitch when i turn the wheel, but does increase with relation to engine RPM. It seemed to happen shortly after i changed the radiator, not sure if it was a coincidence or not, perhaps i should make sure i didn't crimp the cooler line hoses.

Any thoughts on this? every other power steering noise i've heard changes when you turn the wheel, and this does not. Is there anything else that sounds identical to a power steering pump whine?

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: strange power steering whine

Check all of the belt pulleys, idlers and tensioners. When they go out they can sound just like the PS.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

I thought I was low on ps fluid last week, checked and it was full. Inspected my belts and found that I had a bad tensioner pulley. Increased with rmps, sometimes went away after a longer period of driving.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

As far as the belts go, within the past 3k i have replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner pulley and timing belt idler pulley. i have also replaced the serpantine idler pulley as well as the serpantine belt. I suppose it is entirely possible that one of the other pulleys on the serpantine belt is going out, is there any way to check them without totally tearing apart the front end of the car yet again?
Thanks,

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

Easiest way to find out wether it is something drivin by the timing belt or serp belt is to remove the serp belt. If the noise goes away with the serp belt off then its something being driven by the serp belt. Otherwise its something driven by the timing belt. You can get the serp belt off without taking the front end off. Another way to isolate the noise is to use a mechanics stethoscope. The noise will be loudest when you place the stethoscope on the culprit item, but its pretty hard to diagnose a bad coolant pump with a stethoscope because you cant really acces it.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

I used my mechanics stethescope thing and i beleive the noise is coming from the a/c compressor(figures, couldn't have been something cheap for once....damn audi). Whoever said these cars were reliable is freaking crazy, compared to a fiat maybe.....I'm just glad i don't have the 1.8T.....