General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stuck in idle... bouncing when letting off the gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Stuck in idle... bouncing when letting off the gas?

My wife and i have been driving the coupe around after i sorta fixed the lights... we noticed some weird stuff going on.. SOMETIMES, when switching from neutral to first, or vice versa, it gets STUCK, and even though the car is in neutral, the car will keep GOING, or the RPMs go to the 3,000 mark.. whats up with this?? After going back and fourth to first and neutral it corrects the prob.. is there an idel switch or something??

Question 2.. When letting off the gas kinda fast, the car kinda JOLTS or BOUNCES.. its like the cable? is slow on going back when you release the gas.. how can i correct this.. is this what they call pedal boing?

Question 3.. I dont know how long ago or when the suspension was last changed, but the springs and shocks look new.. the ride is rather BOUNCY.. and annoying ( i dont care i am just happy the car drives now ) but is it the suspension, or could it be the tires?? Someone told me if i got new tires (they are kinda old) or had my tires balanced it would correct this.. any ideas?? Thanks everyone

Old 12-20-2005, 02:37 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Stuck in idle... bouncing when letting off the gas?

Which engine do you have? Which model year is your car? Late-model VW/Audi cars are drive-by-wire. It certainly would not hurt to clean the throttle body; it can't hurt, and it may solve your problem.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:02 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Stuck in idle... bouncing when letting off the gas?

Hello! I have a 1989 Audi coupe quattro... 5 cyl 20V. I have been cleaning out the ISV hoses and hopefully that will help... it still sticks when going from a higher gear to neutral.. I am going to clean out more hoses today, and work my way to cleaing out the TB. It has about a million Klicks on it (i think its equal to 150K miles)... so im sure a few things need to be replaced. Thanks for the info!