General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission locked up? BOOM

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Transmission locked up? BOOM

I have a 94 audi 90 quattro. It started making a mild humming sound while driving, it was fairly quiet if on the gas or decelerating, but kind of loud when giving it a minimal amount of gas to maintain speed. I was thinking the propeller shaft bearing.

On to the good stuff! I was driving to work this morning, stopped at a gas station and when I left, I was picking up speed on the highway. Tranny made a fairly loud clunk, and all of the sudden the mildy annoying hum turned into a loud rickety sound. It went back and forth between being noisy (like rattling almost) and quiet but vibrating. At this moment I'm getting worried, but still thinking propeller shaft. Well, I got to work ok, had a coworker go with me for a quick spin at lunch time to get his opinion, as I don't work on much 4wd stuff much. His only words: "that sounds like f$#k, somethings gotta break soon!" He had no clue what the sound was from past experiences. I proceed to drop him off and drive to the grocery store to buy lunch. Made it 2 blocks and going about 30 mph-BAM. Loud noise and 4 wheels locked up. Almost ditched it because the roads were slick! The shifter was in the neutral spot at this point, engine still running, and all 4 wheels locked up. Oh, and the clutch "feels" like it still works, but the wheels wont free! Any ideas? No local towing companies with flatbeds, so we sadly dragged the car 5 blocks with the wheels locked up (it was very slick anyway, not a big deal other than not really being able to steer). Another odd thing, the diffs are definitely not locked up, as the tires were sometimes rotating while towing (one would spin forward, one backward on each axle." When we got back to the parking lot, the car seemed to pop back into neutral, but the only gear I could get into was 3rd, and there is so much drag that the car won't move in it. I could definitely feel the clutch engaging however. There is a rattling noise coming from the trans now too.

So, my question, anyone have any suggestions what happened? I am quite sure the trans is junk, I'm not even thinkin otherwise. I am worried that my clutch is trash now too though (with an impact like that) as my engine is no longer in the right spot!

Give me some ideas!

Oh, and, anyone wanna buy an AUDI?https://www.audiforums.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif