General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turbo/Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by magicturtle2
Just to clarify. I know why you cant do pure oxygen injection but if turbos and superchargers take air from the atmosphere and compress that to 10-30 PSI why cant you take a SCUBA tank and hook it to a NOS system and when you want to get a boost... It would not have to be a super NOS street racing setup so as to not be that hard on the motor but it could easily surpass a turbo with no mechanical parts to break...
No.... First of all you have to understand PSI means absolutely nothing. it's just a measurement of pressure not volume of air. so quoting psi figures means about as much as a poopie flavored lollipop . Also "NOS" is a brand name of a product. it would in no way shape or form touch a mechanical FI system.

Also "nitrous"(not NOS) is an air compressor like a turbo/supercharger. Nitrous in of itself does NOT gives you more power. what it does is super cool the air intake charge effectively compressing the ambient air before it enters your engine to generate more power. a bottle of air will no do a single thing for performance being hooked up to your engine other than add weight. The reason TC/SC/N2O are called "forced" induction is because they generate enough atmospheric pressure to "force air into the engine. a bottle of "air" will not push any volume of air into the engine at all other than what the engine naturally pulls in by itself

Originally Posted by magicturtle2
NOS is a "compound" where nitrogen and oxygen have chemically combined to form nitrous oxide.

NOS is not a compound N2O is a compound. Also injecting pure oxygen in any form into an environment where there is a spark will result in an explosion

Last edited by eurotrip; 08-21-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM
4th Gear

you have to understand PSI means absolutely nothing
So, 15 PSI really isn't more powerful than 7 PSI? I mean, it sure felt that way when I had my little 1.8T.

Also "NOS" is a brand name of a product
NOS is not a compound N2O is a compound
I think most of us knew what he meant... Here's a short list of "everyday things" that are actually brand names:

AstroTurf, Baggies, Band-Aid, Beer Nuts, Breathalyzer, Brillo Pads, Dacron, Dumpster, Frisbee, Hi-Liter, Hula-Hoop, Jacuzzi, Jeep, Jell-O, Jockey Shorts, Kitty Litter, Kleenex, Laundromat, Liquid Paper, Magic Marker, Muzak, Novocain, Ping-Pong, Play-Doh, Popsicle, Post-it Note, Q-Tip, Realtor, Rollerblade, Scotch Tape, Scrabble, Seeing Eye (dog), Sheetrock, Slim Jim, Styrofoam, Super glue, Technicolor, Teflon, TelePrompTer, Vaseline, Velcro, and Walkman

I'm sure no one runs around correcting you if you were to offer them a generic brand Band-Aid, Q-tip, or Velco strip.

Nitrous (Oxide, since we're splitting hairs here) in of itself does NOT gives you more power
While you are correct that it does cool the intake, which then draws in more air, it also increases the the amount of oxygen available in the combustion chamber, which means more bang for the buck... a two trick pony.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Administrator

^^ exactly, and it requires the proper amount of additional fuel to be injected along with the nitrous charge, so that the extra oxygen can be burned. Nitrous is roughly 38% oxygen by volume IIRC, whereas air is ~21% oxygen. Nitrous is a more oxygen-dense gas than air so its ability to make power is greater, but it still needs fuel as well. Without enriching fuel delivery, you just lean the mixture out and end up mulching your internals.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM
4th Gear

nom nom nom

Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
So, 15 PSI really isn't more powerful than 7 PSI? I mean, it sure felt that way when I had my little 1.8T.

I think most of us knew what he meant... Here's a short list of "everyday things" that are actually brand names:

AstroTurf, Baggies, Band-Aid, Beer Nuts, Breathalyzer, Brillo Pads, Dacron, Dumpster, Frisbee, Hi-Liter, Hula-Hoop, Jacuzzi, Jeep, Jell-O, Jockey Shorts, Kitty Litter, Kleenex, Laundromat, Liquid Paper, Magic Marker, Muzak, Novocain, Ping-Pong, Play-Doh, Popsicle, Post-it Note, Q-Tip, Realtor, Rollerblade, Scotch Tape, Scrabble, Seeing Eye (dog), Sheetrock, Slim Jim, Styrofoam, Super glue, Technicolor, Teflon, TelePrompTer, Vaseline, Velcro, and Walkman

I'm sure no one runs around correcting you if you were to offer them a generic brand Band-Aid, Q-tip, or Velco strip.

While you are correct that it does cool the intake, which then draws in more air, it also increases the the amount of oxygen available in the combustion chamber, which means more bang for the buck... a two trick pony.
1. what i'm saying is psi is a measure of pressure not volume. that is why psi on a t25g turbo makes far less power than that of a gt2871r. that is why turbo efficiency is measure in lb/min or cfm not psi. throwing around arbitrary psi numbers means nothing at all. to say said tank of air will push ***insert random psi number*** doesn't mean anything since it's still not telling you the actual volume of gas entering the combustion chambers

2. Nos is a brand name/company which is an acronym for the company Nitrous Oxide Systems. yes we know what he meant. but it's just a pet peeve of mine. it would be like people referring to every car on the road as aa audi regardless of manufacturer

3. and yes i agree that's why i referred to it as Forced induction. that it increases oxygen density within the combustion chamber generating more power

Last edited by eurotrip; 08-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM
4th Gear

I get what you're saying, but did you really need to sound like such an asshat (sorry, Mr. Asshat, for using you're name in vain) in your original post? I'm just saying, you're kinda new here, which is cool... we love new members, the more the merrier, but stick around for awhile before you start making waves just to make waves.

And for the record, there is a huge difference between referring to ever car as an Audi, and ever hook and loop fastener as Velco

PS. Congrats on the new A3.

Last edited by bradtyler02; 08-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Yes. Its the internet. I never take it seriously. And waves are fun even though I'm black and can't swim. And that's captain asshat. Mr makes me sound old. And your analogy is a little of. Ijs.

Thanksb for the congrats on the A3. I'm wondering how I never bought an Audi fr the start. I guess 14th time is a charm. Lol

Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM
4th Gear

And waves are fun even though I'm black and can't swim
I might have laughed a little more than I should of at this...

And Mr. Asshat is the guy who made this thread... he came in here acting a fool (worse than you... haha) but we all worked it out and things are good now.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

oh really ? was this in another thread. and don't forget i have diabetes and i'm a single dad so there's 2 really good stereotypes right there for you to laugh at lol

Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eurotrip
No.... First of all you have to understand PSI means absolutely nothing. it's just a measurement of pressure not volume of air. so quoting psi figures means about as much as a poopie flavored lollipop . Also "NOS" is a brand name of a product. it would in no way shape or form touch a mechanical FI system.

Also "nitrous"(not NOS) is an air compressor like a turbo/supercharger. Nitrous in of itself does NOT gives you more power. what it does is super cool the air intake charge effectively compressing the ambient air before it enters your engine to generate more power. a bottle of air will no do a single thing for performance being hooked up to your engine other than add weight. The reason TC/SC/N2O are called "forced" induction is because they generate enough atmospheric pressure to "force air into the engine. a bottle of "air" will not push any volume of air into the engine at all other than what the engine naturally pulls in by itself

NOS is not a compound N2O is a compound. Also injecting pure oxygen in any form into an environment where there is a spark will result in an explosion
The list of things you are dead wrong about in this post is tooo long to type, my fingers would cramp first so I am just going to say that you clearly have no clue what your talking about and then I am going to have a cold beer.

Quick Reply: Turbo/Supercharger