General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

VIBRATION AND HARD IDLE

Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Default VIBRATION AND HARD IDLE

WEVE GOT AN 06 A4 THATS GOT A REAL BAD VIBRATION AND A HARD IDLE IN PARK AND NUETRALTHAT THE DEALERSHIP HAS CLAIMED AS NORMAL... HAS ANYBODY ELSE RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM??

Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: VIBRATION AND HARD IDLE

Have the dealer or somebody run the computer for any stored codes. Could also be some bad gas. Try a contailer of dry gas and fill up with the highest octane you can find.

How long has this been happening? Does the car feel any different while driving, loss of power, etc.? Does the car start up ok? Any warning lights on?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

is the check engine light flashing...?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:54 PM

YES!! I took my A4 06 in for a 25K checkup and it was fine. It came out with a rough idle exactly like yours. The dealer said it was fine until they sat in it with me. They have run all the tests. No codes show up. No engine lights flashing. I use premium gas. It's been at the dealership now for a week and they keep telling me they are talking to "Audi America," and "the engineers." I'm beginning to think I'm never going to get my car back. Any help or advice out there?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

It could be the PCV assembly on the side of the valve cover take the big plastic vacuum hose off and plug it with your finger. See if the idle smooths out. On a side note have either one of you heard a wierd whistle at idle ever?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 PM

I'll mention that to the service guy tomorrow if, when I pick up my car, it isn't fixed as the service manager is telling me it is. I got a call, about a half hour after I wrote my post, from the head of customer service, telling me that my car was now fixed! Somehow, even though they'd had it for a week, in the time between when I spoke with the service rep at 3:30, and when I called the service manager at 4pm, the car had magically been fixed! The service manager says that they had to "reboot" the car and now it's fine. I told him that I was a bit skeptical, and that if I got into the car and it was still vibrating, whether the codes or engine lights or whatever indicatedit was fixed, if the driving wheel was shaking, as far as I was concerned, it wasn't fixed. I've been an Audi driver for 6 years. I love my car, which is a good part of the reason why I'm so upset about all of this. I have never, ever been treated like this or been through anything like this. It really makes me mad and sad at the same time. Something happened to my car when I brought it in for the 25K service. Maybe the tech bumped the throttle valve while he was switching out the air filter. Is that possible? At any rate, something happened. Because my car was one way when I brought it in, and another way when I picked it up. Very frustrating. And I miss my car!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

25k is just an oil change. Only thing he really could have done is put to much oil in it. It just seems odd that it goes away in drive. The 2.0 litres are notorious for vibrations at idle in gear. The drivtrain vibrations are transfered thru the trans mounts. No fix for that at this time. I dont think your year has the electronic motor mounts but you have to disconnect one of them to change the oil. It really shouldnt make that much of a difference if its plugged in or not, but you never know.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:03 PM

I picked up the car yesterday and finally got a service rep who was empathetic. The rough idle was when the car was in Drive, primarily, at stop lights and stop signs. In Neutral, the idle was much lower. The service rep took me around to a couple of 06 A4 2.0s and I started them up, put them in Drive, and there was a range of idle vibration -- from what mine used to be to what mine is now. Why my idle is rougher now is a mystery, but what I've come to understand is that this kind of idle is not unusual for the 2.0 A4 engine and is within the range that most drivers experience. The service rep told me that if it still bothered me, I could return when the District Rep was at the dealership and talk to him about it. I still don't understand why I have a rough idle now, when I didn't before, but at least I know that it's normal for this engine to idle roughly in Drive and Park. Unless I've been brainwashed . . .