General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Viper SmartStart on Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Viper SmartStart on Audi?

I've been reading around and found references to Viper SmartStart and Audi. But they are older threads, referring to older models. The newer models, such as the Q5, are much more complex and computer controlled.

I would like a remote starter. I live in New England, it's friggen cold out :-) I understand the Audi warm up very quickly, but the point of a remote starter is to not have to trudge out in the snow and start it up.

In any case, I wonder if it's possible, without harm or voiding warranty or using an extra key fob, to use SmartStart (Viper products) remote starter with the Audi like - in my case, it will be a 2014 Q5.

Comments, suggestions appreciated, thank you.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Viper remote starter

I added a Viper remote starter to my 2013 A7. I asked the dealer about warranty implications before I had it installed and was told no problem and no warranty impact. Six months later (remote starter working fine) the transmission control computer failed. The dealer replaced it and when I picked it up I tried the remote start before I left, all was fine. As soon as I got home the same part failed again and I was stuck. Towed back to the dealer and part was ordered, took 32 days to get the part. This time Audi demanded that the viper system be removed from the car but did not say that the viper was the problem. I asked if I could reinstall and was told I could (so far at my expense) and that there was still no warranty impact. So... The viper remoter start is great as long as the car runs

Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 AM
1st Gear
Default 2013 Audi A7 - got it to work with Viper Smartstart!!!

I realize this is a relatively old post that probably no one is following - but since I had the same question and found this thread, thought I should contribute my experience.

I have a 2013 Audi A7 and got the Viper Smartstart system installed successfully. The Viper module I purchased is the VSS3000 (this is a Viper Remote Start system w/Keyless entry that has NO alarm, and NO remotes - you have to use the App on your phone)

I opted for this module for two reasons - I didn't want to mess up the factory alarm system on the Audi - it's tied to too many things that I didn't want to affect, and I didn't want to bother carrying a second keyfob. I'm all for smaller keychains.

So - things to note (and this probably doesn't apply to all cars) - the installer will need to permanently embed a programmable key in the module to get it to work (either a valet key that can start the car, or the "regular" smart key). You will NO LONGER have access to this key. Which means, you need to make as many copies as possible for your keys and program all of them.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you lose one of your other keys, and need to buy a replacement, all available keys have to be reprogrammed - and since you can't easily remove the one in your Viper module - you may have to forego it and reprogram the rest, in which case, the key in your Viper smartstart module WILL NO LONGER WORK!

To future-proof yourself against the eventuality, just purchase and program the maximum allowable keys for your vehicle (I was told I could do up to 5 for my 2013 A7) that way, if you lose one, you can do without buying another replacement key (which involves reprogramming and messing up your Viper smartstart).

For the Viper smartstart module, a "smart" valet key (emergency key) will work for the installation and it's a lot cheaper. Have at least two valet keys - that way you can use one for the module and keep the other as a spare - then have at least three other regular smart keys. It sounds like overkill, but its better than dealing with re-installation of your Viper module once you lose a key.

The only potential issue to note after the installation is that immediately after I started driving, my lane assist and adaptive cruise control showed as "unavailable", along with one or two other error messages associated with my Stabilization and braking system - but these error messages are not unusual with Audis after a service is done to the car. Don't panic, the Viper module doesn't affect ACC or Lane assist. These fault messages usually fix themselves after one or two drives - if not, Audi can reset them. Also, when you start and drive the car with remote start, the lane assist or ACC may still be unavailable until you restart the car the regular way.

I prefer stopping and restarting the car once I actually get in the car if I had previously started it with remote start.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Kagai or Anyone I have the Smart Start need advice

So I know this is a super old post don't know if anyone is still watching it. I own a 2010 Audi A4 Prem Plus. I had the Viper Smart Start installed as soon as I got it. Have had it in and running great for years!! No issues as someone else suggested get many keys!!! My question is I'm not looking at new A4's 2014 or 2015 I see a lot of the newer models now have the push button start... Do any of you that have had the smart start installed have the push button or just the push in key fob? Thanks

Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 PM
1st Gear
Default reply

Last edited by Kagai; 07-08-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Reply to Rebecca Starz

Hey Rebecca

Short answer is yes, I have the push button on my Audi A7 that I installed last year.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are some nuances to the installation process. If you're at or near Georgia, I recommend visiting AudioTrix in Marietta - they're the ones who did the installation for me - they know their stuff and had to do some research to also get it to work.

I strongly recommend also getting the exact model I mentioned earlier, VSS3000 - it doesn't come with a physical remote for starting the car, you need to use a smartphone app (which requires a subscription). If you do decide to get a physical remote, you also have to decide whether to override the factory alarm altogether, or not install the Viper alarm system (just install the remote start functionality as I did). The problem with the physical remote is that you still need the other smart remote to start the car with - so you're stuck with two huge things on your keychain. You could of course just work with the Valet key and the Viper remote to reduce the footprint on your Keychain - but that's your call.

My preference was no Viper Alarm - just unlock/lock/remote start with a smartphone app only. The smartphone app is well worth it - a lifesaver for when you forget your keys somewhere, or you actually want to lock your key in the car so you don't have to carry it around.

Also - I have to mention something about the Smart Key and the Valet key. Both are programmable keys - they both have a chip inside and either one of them counts towards the 5 maximum programmable keys you have (this number may be higher or lower depending on your Audi model). There are at least three key sensors in my A7 - one under the handle in my driver door, one on the center console (a little towards the driver side - there's a picture of a key on it), and one in the Trunk handle. These three sensors are what communicate with the chip in the Smart or Valet keys in order to either open the door locks, power-on the car, or crank up the engine.

The smart key has the chip on the outer remote shell component - and it has a small button which releases a metal "regular" key for manually opening the door locks, trunk or glove compartment - especially useful if the battery is dead or chip is damaged. This chip on the smart key broadcasts its frequency by some small distance. This is what enables you to be able to unlock your door with your key in your pocket (you don't actually have to hit the unlock button on the remote to unlock the doors) - and also, allows you to start or crank up the car without removing the key from your pocket. As long as it's in the vicinity of either of the sensors, it will read the key.

The valet key on the other hand, requires manual work. It looks like the metal "regular" key in the smart version, but it's plastic and also has a chip in it. The chip in it has a very low frequency, slightly different technology, so you have to manually turn the key into the driver lock to unlock the car, and you have to physically touch the key onto the center console sensor (and hit the brake) in order to crank up the engine. It may seem like a horrible key, but its actually useful if you intend to go somewhere where you'll be in contact with a lot of water (water-sports, etc) and it also has a very small footprint- therefore it's perfect for when you are wearing a pair of some slim pants for work, or on an evening-out, and you don't wanna be bothered carrying some bulky keys. It also works well with a keychain that already has other bulky stuff and the last thing you need is a huge Smartkey on it as well. It's also a nice option for a Key hidden somewhere inside your car for when you forget your other keys (if your front seats have a hidden compartment under them, that works great for small umbrellas and spare keys). Just unlock your car with your smartphone, find your valet key - and you're on your way.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea - I get carried away sometimes.

Have fun - and don't forget to first program the maximum number of keys possible. Have at least two valet keys and give the Viper installation folks one of those Valet Keys. No point wasting a really expensive smart key for the Viper Smartstart module.

PS. Whenever you visit an Audi Dealer, they take it upon themselves to update the firmware on your car via an interface that is at the bottom on the drivers side well, on the left (if your car is American). This is where the Viper component that has the Valet key (or smart key) will most likely be put as well. Whenever Audi technicians notice a key in there, they freak out. Make sure you mention to them NOT to remove that key.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 PM
1st Gear
Talking Kagai Thanks

Hey Thanks again for all the info I did indeed finally buy my new Audi A4 prem plus end of last summer and after diddle daddling and finally ready to buy my keys so I can have my tech do my fresh install soon Hopefully all goes well and the keys haven't changed much I think he said I can use a valet key also. I sure love this site lots of good info.. YAY Audis!

Rebecca