General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird Electrical Issues......

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Weird Electrical Issues......

I'm having some weird electrical issues on my '03 A4 3.0Q........First of all, for some reason, when I try to close my sunroof it doesn't always close, so I turn it back to open and then close again and it usually works on the second time......Also, My right passenger window acts very strange on occasion......Sometimes when I roll it up, it will stay up for about a second and then automatically roll back down about 1/4 of the way, so I roll it up again and it comes back down, and again.....Usually it stays up after about the 3rd time, but once I get it to roll up the auto roll-down and auto-roll up won't work.....It's really weird.....Also, twice I have turned on my car and have gotten an alert message telling me that one of my high-beams is out....sure enough my passenger side high beam wont be working.....Then the next time I get in and turn it on the alert message is gone, and my high-beam is working fine.....Not exactly sure what is up....Any input would be helpful...Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Weird Electrical Issues......

your car is suffering from altitude sickness

seriously, the sunroof thing is mentioned on here several times, across several different platforms. Clean your tracks. That seem to be teh general concensus for that problem.

The window is, I believe (but, I'm not an expert with these things, and less so with A4's) the result of a faulty switch, or window postiton sensor. Don't ask me where it is, on your car, cuz I don't know, but someone else may...

The headlight thing? NOT A CLUE! Sorry!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Weird Electrical Issues......

The sunroof could also be a faulty sunroof switch.
Does the window bind up at all. You could have broken guides causing the window to think its hitting an object. Try lubing teh seals or pushing the window in or out slightly while closing. It that helps you have alighnment issues probably caused by broken window guides. However the fact that the window loses its auto functioning feature leads me to believe that you have a fautly window motor. It could also be the switch. Thats an easy one to check. Try using a different switch and see if your results are different. For the headlight i would check to make sure the bulb is in the socket good and the bulb or socket isnt burned at all. Also make sure the electrical conections are clean and tight. If everything is ok, try changing the bulb.